Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Who Likes White Dog?

Most of us who have visited distilleries have tasted bourbon white dog. Buffalo Trace is the only major distillery to have released its bourbon white dog as a product. Corn whiskeys such as Georgia Moon have generally been the only other widely available white dogs. Many of us have posted that we wished white dog was more available.

You know the saying, be careful what you wish for ...

Now, thanks to the growing micro-distillery community, we have all kinds of white dog on the market, even more if we count the lightly-aged stuff.

Is there anyone who thinks there is still not enough white dog on the market?

So, how much white dog are you really drinking, relative to your consumption of aged whiskey? Would you say you enjoy white dog exclusively, frequently, occasionally, rarely, or never?

Yes, I said "enjoy" instead of "drink" on purpose.

How many different white dog products do you own? How often do you reach for one of them?

How do you drink your white dog?

Guru

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

I own none, have no purchase plans and if gifted a bottle would use it as a mixer.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I have two bottles of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey (imported to Australia at a cost of about $65AU per bottle.) I find them to be a great reminder of the White Dog I sampled when touring the distilleries a few years ago. They are definately not something I drink on my own often, but for some reason I'm drawn to the smell and often nose it for comparison to whatever bourbon I'm drinking at the time.
    I always bring them out at get-togethers with family & friends who drink bourbon. Even if they don't normally drink bourbon neat, people tend to find it a fascinating product to smell and taste and the Jam Jar packaging rates highly with everyone who sees it.
    I have been intending to buy a bottle of Tuthilltown Spirits Corn Whiskey for a while now, more as a comparison point to the Georgia Moon and not because it will be something I'd gravitate towards drinking regularly.
    Last edited by camduncan; 02-23-2011 at 16:50.

Trippah and Admin

The stuff gives me instant heartburn and it feels like I've swallowed a steel wool pad.

Pass.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I own none, have no purchase plans and if gifted a bottle would use it as a mixer.
    I fall into this same category.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

Exclamation Re: Who Likes White Dog?

I have never had white dog. I did have some moonshine in the early 90's - I would not want to drink it again for any reason. It was like very bad vodka with a very strong "whang".

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I have never had white dog. I did have some moonshine in the early 90's - I would not want to drink it again for any reason. It was like very bad vodka with a very strong "whang".

Tim
    It's got a little "whang" in it.

My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

I like White Dog in Bloody Marys. It really adds some good body/sweetness/flavor to a good spicy drink. Beyond that, it has its place in some mixed drinks, but I will be the first to admit it is a limited market.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Same here at to never buying any or do I intend to. I have had the BT and some of the Kovel's which were interesting and tasty. Just not something I want to spend my hard earned money on.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I quite like white dog, but sadly don't own much of it. Quite frankly most of it is way out of the range of prices I consider acceptable. Should you really have to pay $25 for a 375 of unaged distillate? That's just nuts.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile