Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

I really like white dog, but the price keeps me from bringing them home. I have some obsk white dog that I love, as well as some Ardbeg new make, which I prefer to the regular Ardbeg expressions.

Connoisseur

I have a bottle of the BT version. I've tried it once and had some friends try it. I like it for what is in the bourbon making process, but it's not something I would ever buy again.

Disciple

I love White Dog, my wife loves White Dog, my kids love...

Oh wait, you mean white whiskey.

I have BT, Georgia Moon, Tuthilltown, and some Kovals. I like the Kovals, and don't care for the others. I like having the Kovals on hand for the intellectual exercise of examining "pure" forms of Rye and Wheat, so no, I don't love them.

I do agree with Kickert, in that I'll use Koval Whiskeys in place of Vodka, which I don't own. In the summertime, if my wife wants a vodka-lemonade, she'll get a Koval-lemonade.

Virtuoso

I have a half dozen or so bottles, mostly full. I generally taste them once and then they sit on the shelf. As a rule, I know longer buy unaged whiskey.

The only bottle I have that is close to finished is the BT which is the best of the lot. I like, particularly that it is cask strength. However, the reason it is close to empty is not so much that I drink it regularly as that I use it in tastings, and of course it is a 375 ml.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    ...as well as some Ardbeg new make, ....
    Is this readily available somewhere or was it something you tried at the Distillery?
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    I have a bottle of the BT version. I've tried it once and had some friends try it. I like it for what is in the bourbon making process, but it's not something I would ever buy again.
    Exactly. It's definitely got the "wow" factor -- people who like bourbon are never expecting the strong smell of popcorn from the BT white dog -- it makes folks really appreciate what the barrel does. Like others have said, I use it more for nosing than for tasting. The BT is especially good to have, since you can easily draw a straight line from their white dog right to the aged and bottled bourbons that they sell.

Advanced Taster

I have only had the BT version of white dog and didn't care for it at all. I don't think I will be buying any other version anytime son.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Enthusiast

I'm not drinking very much white dog compared to my consumption of aged bourbon (which isn't ALL that much anyways). I don't particularly enjoy it, it's more of a novelty thing. I'm glad I have had the opportunity to taste exactly what goes into the barrel at the proof it in which it usually goes in at (it makes me appreciate that barrel more and more). I only have the BT Mash Bill #1.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Is this readily available somewhere or was it something you tried at the Distillery?
    Dr. Bill visited us and gave me a taste. It was really fantastic. Not available for purchase sadly.

Advanced Taster

The only reason I would every buy a bottle is if I had a tasting. I enjoy having a taste side by side with a bourbon every now and again just to appreciate the difference. But a bottle of Evan Williams or (insert value bourbon here) costs $12 and is a whole heck of a lot better.

The bloody mary suggestion does intrigue me. If that is good it might make me keep a bottle in the freezer.