Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

I probably drink more white dog than anything else. We I do have a ready source in our glen thunder corn whiskey.

Enthusiast

I really enjoy white dog. I brings back fond memories of a distillery visit, and I do actually enjoy the flavor. That said, I would not want to drink it every day and so buying a whole bottle usually doesn't make sense. It would be very cool to be able to buy this in miniatures or 100ml bottles.

I bought a couple BT white dog bottles when they first came out and use them up by sharing with all my friends. Most people actually like it! I also gave one to my local favorite liquor store so they could pour for customers too.

I was able to get a sample of Makers white dog a year or so back and THAT was quite good.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I probably drink more white dog than anything else. We I do have a ready source in our glen thunder corn whiskey.
    Yeah, I probably do too over the course of a typical day, but blending batch is not not quite the same as having a pour at the end of a day.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

I thought you might find it interesting, Mr. Cowdery, that the vast vast majority of White Dog is being used by high end bartenders. We've had a crew asking for the stuff for a few years now, and they're all bartenders. On premise is where there's any pull through, if that.

As you can see from this thread, that's how most consumers enjoy it--- in cocktails.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

To me, white dog is cheap medical insurance.

Its the thrill of Moonshine without the potential consequences.

Its like riding an amusement park ride. The thrill without chance of death.

Novelty.

I don't particularly like it as a style or the flavors that are in it, but I recognize them and recognize that "good" white dog might lead to a better final product.

Am I going to buy Bourbon Futures (like Bourdeaux Futures) based on the early product.
    Doubtul. (Even if it was an option)

Just my three cents.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Enthusiast

I would say rarely, I bought it out of a curiosity more than anything as part of my education... and uh... scientific study... yeah that's it

No regrets though, although if I swing through West Virginia again I just may grab some more of it cause it just feels like the right thing to do...

Don't ask me why...
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Guru

The quest for scientific study and education is unending, we must persevere wherever the path may lead.

Advanced Taster

Wow, so much white dog hate. Why? Others find great pleasure in unaged agave distillates, unaged grape distillates, unaged sugar cane distillates, but no love for unaged cereal grain distillates?

OK so maybe corn and wheat aren't as sexy as an agave plant, but is that the only reason?

Just for the record, I have a bottle of BT white dog and High West's Silver Oat and like them both. I think the Silver Oat is great and am getting low on my bottle.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

How many people sip white tequila or white rum straight? The best use of un-aged spirits is in cocktails. That's becoming crystal clear the more I sample them.

Advanced Taster

To each his own I guess. One of the best spirits I had last year was a unaged mezcal made out of wild tobala agave that has a wonderful smokey complex flavor. And yes, I sip it straight.

I personally would love to see some experiments with different corn, wheat, and rye strains in an unaged distillate. Maybe when some of these other micros go bust I can pick up a still for cheap and try myself?
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter