Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

When we first got into the distilling racket, I looked at white dog as more or less just something interesting. However, as time has gone by and I've tried other white whiskies, I've gained a much greater appreciation for ones that I like. Ours is white corn, so (to me), it has more of a floral, light corn flavor vs. a heavy "smack you in the face with an ear of corn" flavor. And, of course, there's the "Black Dog," that I continue to appreciate more as time goes by. The balance of smoke with the sweetness from the corn seems to go well together, but not everyone enjoys that heavy, smoky flavor, so I can understand when someone gets a funny look when they try it. Otherwise, Tom and I need to hook up sometime and swap juices.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    Tom and I need to hook up sometime and swap juices.
    Hey, what you do on your own time is your business.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Hey, what you do on your own time is your business.
    I was thinking the same thing... Let's keep this PG or at least PG-13.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    To each his own I guess. One of the best spirits I had last year was a unaged mezcal made out of wild tobala agave that has a wonderful smokey complex flavor. And yes, I sip it straight.

I personally would love to see some experiments with different corn, wheat, and rye strains in an unaged distillate. Maybe when some of these other micros go bust I can pick up a still for cheap and try myself?
    Don't get me wrong, I did buy it. I certainly didn't HATE it... but man I have lots of opened whiskey to finish...
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Guru

fussy, it's not hate, just disinterest.

Guru

Paul I appreciate your input and perspective.

Virtuoso

I haven't encountered any white spirit that I would consider a sipper. Mixers all, and since I rarely make cocktails...
    Fun to sample occasionally in order to compare against a similar but aged product. Never considered purchasing.

like anything else, it depends on the white dog. I've had some exceptionally smooth white dog brandy from down the holler that was totally amazing. I've tried maybe only two dozen taxed commercials. The only commercial white dog that had me stand up and take notice was a virginia product, catoctin creek, which was a super mellow rye.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    How many people sip white tequila or white rum straight? The best use of un-aged spirits is in cocktails. That's becoming crystal clear the more I sample them.
    I agree as to Tequila and Rum, but there are many un-aged Eau-de-Vies and Grappas that I love sipping, from both sides of the Atlantic. I would never imagine mixing a Poire Williams Eau-de-Vie from Switzerland's Etter, for instance.

when stepping out o' realm of whiskey, there's lots of unaged spirits that are unique and flavorful. and for tequila, a lot of aficianodos prefer robust blanco over mellow reposido or anejo. But for grappa, I love metaxa and similar expressions, but I'll let ya keep the grappa.