Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

Nobody is answering my primary question.

How much white dog do you drink relative to your consumption of aged spirits? Would you say you enjoy white dog exclusively, frequently, occasionally, rarely, or never?

Or, to put it comparatively, do you drink white spirits less than 10% of the time? Less than 40% of the time? Less than 70% of the time? More than 70% of the time? Or more than 90% of the time?

Yes, there are some white spirits that you sip. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that white whiskey is not one of them. It's better in cocktails.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-26-2011 at 00:09.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I love White Dog, my wife loves White Dog, my kids love...

Oh wait, you mean white whiskey.

I have BT, Georgia Moon, Tuthilltown, and some Kovals. I like the Kovals, and don't care for the others. I like having the Kovals on hand for the intellectual exercise of examining "pure" forms of Rye and Wheat, so no, I don't love them.

I do agree with Kickert, in that I'll use Koval Whiskeys in place of Vodka, which I don't own. In the summertime, if my wife wants a vodka-lemonade, she'll get a Koval-lemonade.
    Yikes. I guess my answer wasn't sufficient because I didn't use percentages. I will choose "occasionaly."

Very little - almost 0% white dog whiskey compared to aged.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

To answer Chuck's question, true white dog 0%. I do have some lightly aged micro stuff that I like, but still very small % of my consumption.

I know one local liquor store is sitting with a shelf full of BT white dog that is not moving. They offered a bar owner to purchase him a small oak barrel, if he would buy their stock - then he can barrel age this and sell at his bar. A good gimmick way to move some inventory.

Guru

Since I have tried some in the past I will say rarely.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The answer is no. Not only because it's yucky, but because the prices are completely ridiculous for what you get around where I live. When white dog costs more than Beam white, what's the point? I'd mix 'em both with Coke or whatever in order to make either one palatable. Maybe there's some fancypants avant-garde bartender out there who makes some sort of fancy drink with it, using white dog's unique characteristics, but I've never had such a drink.

It's neat to have as a curiosity. It's neat to smell and sip and say, "Wow! I'm sure glad this gets better as it ages", but no. No, I pretty much never drink the stuff.

Disciple

How much white dog do you drink relative to your consumption of aged spirits? Would you say you enjoy white dog exclusively, frequently, occasionally, rarely, or never?

Or, to put it comparatively, do you drink white spirits less than 10% of the time? Less than 40% of the time? Less than 70% of the time? More than 70% of the time? Or more than 90% of the time?
    For whiskey white dog the answer is rarely. For white spirits as a whole it would be less than 5% in my entire drinking lifetime of 40 years and close to 0% in the last few years. My old world father in law's death even took the occasional schnapps or aquavit off the table.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

To answer your question chuck, true white dog 0%. Corn Whiskey.... less than 1%

Advanced Taster

Rarely to never. I am pretty sure I will never buy another bottle of white dog.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

To clarify, and only for purposes of this exercise, I'm calling all white spirits 'white dog,' even including some that have perhaps a few months in wood, as long as they still have that white dog flavor.

As this micro-distilling thing has developed and more of the un- or barely-aged products have come on the market I have developed a new appreciation for the visionaries who chose two years, and the 'straight' designation, as a defining threshhold. While the barrel, especially a new charred one, begins to have some flavoring effect almost immediately, it is only after about two years that the spirit is really transformed into something else.