Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

Late to thread I know, but I do drink a good amount of unaged corn whiskey during the summertime, and enjoy it. Maybe 10%. The BT white dog is kept around for educational purposes.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ...As this micro-distilling thing has developed and more of the un- or barely-aged products have come on the market I have developed a new appreciation for the visionaries...
    "Visionaries" is an interesting term. I agree these are visionaries with a realist's eye for building a viable company. In today's world, most startup companies don't enjoy a patron financier interested in a fun hobby, so they must recoup investment fast. What I like is that this creates atmosphere for new and varied flavors - and some of these young products are actually good.

Guru

My disinterest covers the unaged or lightly aged whiskys and I plan to still be around when the aged expressions are market ready.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    "Visionaries" is an interesting term. I agree these are visionaries with a realist's eye for building a viable company. In today's world, most startup companies don't enjoy a patron financier interested in a fun hobby, so they must recoup investment fast. What I like is that this creates atmosphere for new and varied flavors - and some of these young products are actually good.
    If you think they're so good, answer the question.

How much white dog do you drink relative to your consumption of aged spirits? Would you say you enjoy white dog exclusively, frequently, occasionally, rarely, or never?

Apprentice

The survey technique is amusing.

Very little interest in 'white dog.'
    Zero interest in purchasing such whiskey.
    Would love to taste Talisker or S-W white dog.

I love tequila blanco.
    I do not have much interest in the 'mixology' scene.
    Proper integration of oak is key to almost all the spirits and wines I drink.

Enjoy the data. A few extra nuggets to round out the marketing profile.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

In reply to a Crotchety Old Guy looking for data for future Free Lance White Dog Article.

At least 90%, of the 5% of the unaged or short aged distillate I consume, is commercially available.

99% of the time, I don't choose that 5%, but when I do, I consume 40% more than thought I would, which is half as much as I admit to, if asked.

Hope that helps.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Trippah and Admin

0.00%

The one bottle of corn whiskey that I purchased in the last year was given away to an SB'er who likes the stuff much (much) more than I.

It's not my bag, baby.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

So far the results would seem to that people who hate it never drink it and people who like it rarely drink it.

Maybe this will convince some folks that if they want to make and sell whiskey they better figure out a way to finance a real maturation program because the novelty factor that is selling the stuff now is going to wear off fast.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    How many people sip white tequila or white rum straight? The best use of un-aged spirits is in cocktails. That's becoming crystal clear the more I sample them.
    I don't know, but I know I like blanco tequila. El Tosoro is my favorite. I like it neat and usually drink it from a Riedel bourbon glass, sometimes along with Mexican food. I wouldn't class un-aged tequila alongside un-aged rum or white dog.

White dog, for me anyhow, is mostly an educational experience. I have a bottle of BT white dog and very occasionally have a very small pour.

Guru

I have on good authority that the guy Scott gave that bottle of Glen Thunder Corn Whiskey to really enjoyed it. Uhoh, have I said too much?

Not that it will skew the stats too much, but to put it in perspective...Yes 1/10 of total pours in the summer is not a lot, but that's about as much Scotch as I drink during the same period and the same proportion of my total whiskey consumption that is Four Roses.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog