Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

Josh,

How did you keep from ripping the tour guide a new one? Or did you?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Josh,

How did you keep from ripping the tour guide a new one? Or did you?
    I didn't, but it was very difficult. I instead resorted to a lot of eye-rolling and a little snickering. I was with a lady (well, Amy anyway) and I didn't want to get all grouchy before I went to Black Star Farms.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Funny you should mention it, the guy giving the tour (not one of the owners it should be said) explained why they only make single grain whiskeys and vodkas. He said that the only reason one would use multiple grains is to cover-up "poor distillation". He also said corn was just a filler and implied that using it was some sort of cheap shortcut. I assume he meant with regard to rye whiskey.

He also seemed to think makers who use multiple grains in their whiskeys actually blend single grain spirits together. The poor kid was confused about a lot of things.
    I took this tour today, and didn't hear anything like this. They basicly said they use single grains to give them maximum flexability of the production schedule. I also was a little surprised to learn that they only have one yeast for peat/malt/wheat/rye/corn.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Nope, no advance notice needed. While you're there stop in at Black Star Farms Old Mission tasting room and try some of their spirits. Great stuff, esp the grappa and apple brandy. The 10 y/o apple brandy is KILLER. Worth the $75 pricetag. If you're nice they may even let you look at the still.

You nailed this one. The apple brandy that is ten yo was EXCELLENT. I couldn't justify a purchase at the price level, but that doesn't mean I'd call it overpriced. We got there near closing time, so I didn't ask to see any of the production. We may go back later in the week, however.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    You nailed this one. The apple brandy that is ten yo was EXCELLENT. I couldn't justify a purchase at the price level, but that doesn't mean I'd call it overpriced. We got there near closing time, so I didn't ask to see any of the production. We may go back later in the week, however.
    Glad you liked it! After I posted that comment I worried that I may have oversold it.

I'm planning to post a report on my trip to Black Star Farms in the Other Alcohol section today or tomorrow.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

As I was perusing the shelves at the liquor sore the other day, I came across HH's Trybox Rye and decided to try it, if nothing else for educational purposes. I don't know what I was expecting, but it is radically different than I thought it would be. It has some rye spice to it, and a lot of raw grain in the nose and taste, but there's something about it I just can't describe. Almost a heavy, oily taste that's downright unappetizing.

I'm starting to think it was a waste of $25. Now I have 700ml of white dog that I have no use for, unless I can find some good cocktail recipes to use it in. Anyone have any recipes to share?

Eric

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    As I was perusing the shelves at the liquor sore the other day, I came across HH's Trybox Rye and decided to try it, if nothing else for educational purposes. I don't know what I was expecting, but it is radically different than I thought it would be. It has some rye spice to it, and a lot of raw grain in the nose and taste, but there's something about it I just can't describe. Almost a heavy, oily taste that's downright unappetizing.

I'm starting to think it was a waste of $25. Now I have 700ml of white dog that I have no use for, unless I can find some good cocktail recipes to use it in. Anyone have any recipes to share?

Eric
    If you're adventurous, you can look for a barrel instead of a recipie book ...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post

Eric
    That is the way rye tastes. I love the taste of corn and bourbon white dog, but rye is terrible in my opinion. It really needs a barrel.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    That is the way rye tastes. I love the taste of corn and bourbon white dog, but rye is terrible in my opinion. It really needs a barrel.
    Recently I read a post where a few people claimed that rye was drinkable right off the still. Maybe their claims led me to believe it would taste good. I've also been drinking more (aged) rye than bourbon lately and I'm really starting to like it, so I figured I might like rye white dog too.

The barrel idea has merit. I also have a few ounces of heavy toast american oak chips that I thought about using.

Eric
    Last edited by emr454; 07-18-2011 at 05:15.

Taster

To answer the question: no, I don't generally like white dog. Would I buy white dog as a regular pour? Nope.

Back home in West By God Virginia two years ago for my dear mother's funeral, I hit a local liquor store the day before we all left to return to Texas and bought two local products: Mountain Moonshine (West Virginia Spirit Whiskey, 30% corn whiskey, 70% GNS, IIRC) and Southern Moon Corn Liquor from the Isaiah Morgan Distillery.

The Mountain Moonshine is an interesting pour. The corn content gives it a nicer taste than just plain GNS, and the fact that it is 100 proof makes it a good belt. Does it match my great grandfather's corn liquor? No, and that's what I grew up expecting "moonshine" to taste like. This is interesting and would make a good mixer for Bloody Marys or other vodka-based cocktails, though, but I also like Platte Valley for those kind of cocktails.

I guess I just really prefer barrel-aged spirit, preferably heavy on the corn content.