Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Novice

Re: Who Likes White Dog?

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Tom, The one I saw, the kit that is, had the 100 proof white dog with it. Saw one at another retailer recently at $59 and that's not a bad price for the barrel alone based on what Independent Stave was getting for these tiny barrels at KBF iirc.
    This is correct. We bottle the white at 100, so you can dilute to 80 in the barrel if you wish.

Connoisseur

I'll finally raise my hand on this on, but with a caveat.

By itself, not so much. it really doesn't bear much of a resemblance to it's final form, and just really cannot compete for a major place in the market. It's like comparing a glass of milk to a well aged chedder, or some Maytag blue. The final mutation always blows away the initial starting product.

For the last couple of days the misses and I have been on a bit of mojito kick, I think we're trying to hold on to the memories of the sunny 80 degree days of vacation not long ago.

The other day while making a round and seeing the bottle of 10 Cane getting low, the mental note was made to pick some more up on the next run to the store. Giving the bottle a quick sniff, it reminded me slightly of the bottle of Death's Door White Whiskey that I had opened and set aside some time back. Interesting to taste, but like most, not something to just drink on its own.

A couple minutes later for a bunker search, and said bottle is pouring into the glass.

Verdict, quite serviceable, and possible preferable to the rum. Thinking it over, whiskey generally pairs very well with both mint-ala Julep, and citrus-sours and others, so why not in a mojito??

End result, a quite happy me with having a good use for something that would have languish for a long time.

So gentlemen, before tossing out those dogs that many of you have after trying them for tasting purposes, give this a try.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

I will tell you, our GT corn makes one hell of a margarita and a bloody mary. The bloody mary tastes like corn chips and salsa.

Connoisseur

White dog is not for me and it accounts for approximately 0.0% of my spirits consumption.

There is a lot to be said for leaving whiskey in a barrel and letting that thing called time run its course. I see white dog as a trend that is having it's day (I have come across way to many hipsters who claim they love it). This trend is being pushed by craft distilleries that are too new to have any aged product and, perhaps, lack the resources to do some good blending in the meantime. White dog equals instant revenue - it is a way to keep the doors open, not a way to supply customers with quality product.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 01-29-2012 at 10:29.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I will tell you, our GT corn makes one hell of a margarita and a bloody mary. The bloody mary tastes like corn chips and salsa.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have a bottle of GT open and will
    offer it up next time my mrs. is considering a Bloody Mary at
    brunch.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

I like white whiskey ... much better than the strawberry and apple pie [yuck] moonshine my peers try to pawn off on me. I find that the hints of "creamed corn" really refreshing ... and its nice to have a "clear" spirit with flavor ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    I like white whiskey ... much better than the strawberry and apple pie [yuck] moonshine my peers try to pawn off on me. I find that the hints of "creamed corn" really refreshing ... and its nice to have a "clear" spirit with flavor ...
    I prefer real fruit brandies when I'm in the mood for clear spirits with flavor. I'll take a good kirschwasser, framboise and slivovitz over bourbon white dog any day and I'm sorry that I missed out on the peach brandy that Finger Lakes made a season or two back.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

We may make some more down the road. You can get a chance to buy some aged though. How that came about is, we fermented the peach and ran it through our pot still one time. Then took half of it down to mt vernon and doubled it in the wood fired copper stills. It is aging in uncharred oak there now for sale in a year or so. It was a real treat though as white dog.

Virtuoso

I don't mind a nip of white whiskey from time to time, but I usually don't go out of my way to aquire it. On another note: technically, isn't Blanco Tequila "white dog"?

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    We may make some more down the road. You can get a chance to buy some aged though. How that came about is, we fermented the peach and ran it through our pot still one time. Then took half of it down to mt vernon and doubled it in the wood fired copper stills. It is aging in uncharred oak there now for sale in a year or so. It was a real treat though as white dog.
    Please look me up when it gets bottled. I would love to get my hands on some.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?