Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 160
  1. #91
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,528

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I haven't met him yet, but he seems like a pretty decent guy to me.
    Cheers Dog! Joe
    Thanks for the kind words, Joe. Everyone else seems to feel that I'm either overpriced, or should just be used as a vodka substitute. It's enough to make a guy feel insecure!

  2. #92
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,009

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Thanks Thad,

    It went so well I've already picked up another bottle to take to KBF. I don't know if he'll ever have enough production to distribute nationwide. I think I told you, he makes his beer ot of feed corn, granulated sugar, and Fleishmans yeast. That's the same way my Uncle Ben used to make it "on the banks of the Wabash" when I was a kid in Indiana. What sets it apart from white dog or Georgia Moon is the smell of corn and the taste of corn on your pallet. I've had one distiller tell me that it's white rum that has been corn infused. Whatever, it is totally different than white dog and IMO far superior to Georgia Moon. I'm trying to find a one gallon barrel and have a medium char put in it and see what it is like aged in wood.
    Stu here's a place to get barrels my wife got mine there. I worked well for my aging project.

    http://www.oakbarrelsltd.com/
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  3. #93
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massillon, Oh.
    Posts
    1,241

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    I'm not sure this belongs in this thread, but I do like home made corn whiskey. I have a friend who gets a regular batch from his relatives in Tennessee. sells me a pint or two every other month or so. The stuff is wonderfull. It's sweet and very drinkable neat, even at 190 proof.

    I have never had any of the "legal' offerings from BT and the like... and I don't think I would spend the money on any of them, to be honest.

  4. #94
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I'm not sure this belongs in this thread, but I do like home made corn whiskey. I have a friend who gets a regular batch from his relatives in Tennessee. sells me a pint or two every other month or so. The stuff is wonderfull. It's sweet and very drinkable neat, even at 190 proof.

    I have never had any of the "legal' offerings from BT and the like... and I don't think I would spend the money on any of them, to be honest.
    There is no way "home made corn whiskey" is hitting 190 proof. I would be VERY impressed to see a moonshiner hit 150 on a regular basis. Sure its possible on home made equipment, but it isn't worth the time and effort. Even the best stuff I have had (and I have had a lot) is no higher than 120 or so and most is a lot lower than that.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  5. #95
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massillon, Oh.
    Posts
    1,241

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    There is no way "home made corn whiskey" is hitting 190 proof. I would be VERY impressed to see a moonshiner hit 150 on a regular basis. Sure its possible on home made equipment, but it isn't worth the time and effort. Even the best stuff I have had (and I have had a lot) is no higher than 120 or so and most is a lot lower than that.
    I won't disagree with you on that. I'm just relaying what I am told about it. It does make more sense as to why it's so drinkable if it really isn't that high in proof.

  6. #96
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I won't disagree with you on that. I'm just relaying what I am told about it. It does make more sense as to why it's so drinkable if it really isn't that high in proof.
    I have had 190 GNS on several occasions and it is anything but smooth. It literally burns your throat even if you take the smallest sip.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  7. #97
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northwest of Peoria
    Posts
    4,437

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I have had 190 GNS on several occasions and it is anything but smooth. It literally burns your throat even if you take the smallest sip.
    Burns your throat. Hell, it burns the hell out of your toung. And if your lips are even slightly chaped, forget it.

    I use to keep some everclear in the bathroom for sterilizing our thermometer etc.

  8. #98
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    83

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    I have some Georgia Moon. The only thing i use it for is when the Green Bay Packers score points(TD, field goal,and extra points in the SB). Shot of it i think is a good celebration.

  9. #99
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,818

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    I may check out the Mellow Corn as Josh suggested. I've always been intrigued by it and the price is right, if only for the novelty factor when sitting by the campfire this summer.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  10. #100
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,536

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    I can endorse Mellow Corn. Get the BIB if you can. It tastes a little like tequila. Much more drinkable than Georgia Moon.

    Ben's right. A real moonshiner is lucky to hit 40% - 50% abv let alone 95%, and if you've been sipping 95% abv spirit, you're probably dead by now.

    Also, true moonshine is rarely corn. It's usually sugarjack, i.e., made from table sugar. Hell, if it tastes good that right there is the best evidence that it isn't true moonshine, because true moonshine usually tastes like crap and a half.

    Anybody with even a passing interest in moonshine should read Max Watman's book, Chasing the White Dog.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Am I the only one who likes Pikesville?
    By humchan2k in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 11:09
  2. Dad Likes EWSB
    By cowdery in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 00:58
  3. So, Who here likes Baker's?
    By pete_d in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 16:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top