Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 160
  1. #61
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    So far the results would seem to that people who hate it never drink it and people who like it rarely drink it.

    Maybe this will convince some folks that if they want to make and sell whiskey they better figure out a way to finance a real maturation program because the novelty factor that is selling the stuff now is going to wear off fast.
    I think your methodology is a bit skewed Chuck. You are asking a bunch of bourbon elitists if they like a non-bourbon product. You could just have easily asked "How much of your total spirits drinking is dedicated to spiced rum" and just because the number is probably pretty low, does not mean that there is no market for it.

    I would fully expect the people on SB.com to prefer aged whiskey.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  2. #62
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,534

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    So far the results would seem to that people who hate it never drink it and people who like it rarely drink it.

    Maybe this will convince some folks that if they want to make and sell whiskey they better figure out a way to finance a real maturation program because the novelty factor that is selling the stuff now is going to wear off fast.
    We get it, Chuck. You don't like white dog.

    Note to all struggling micros, "Get the f--k off Chuck's lawn!"

  3. #63
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,540

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I think your methodology is a bit skewed Chuck. You are asking a bunch of bourbon elitists if they like a non-bourbon product. You could just have easily asked "How much of your total spirits drinking is dedicated to spiced rum" and just because the number is probably pretty low, does not mean that there is no market for it.

    I would fully expect the people on SB.com to prefer aged whiskey.
    And who would you expect to be the big drinkers of white dog?

    There is no actual survey here, by the way. My intention was to stimulate a discussion about this subject on SB.com, where we get a lot of favorable comments about white dog whiskeys, comments that often strike me as perfunctory and superficial, so I'm asking if anybody here (and no one would deny that people here drink) consumes the stuff on a regular basis, except for professional purposes, of course.

    I also consider myself the friend of the micro-distiller, even if what I practice is tough love, because I'm saying "look, the stuff may be interesting, and people may be enamored of having a distillery next door, and willing to be supportive, but you can't build a business based on selling bottles nobody will finish."

    So no, White Dog, it's not that I have anything against white dog per se, but I'm waiting in vain here for someone to come forward and say, "I love white dog, it's all I ever drink."
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-28-2011 at 09:58.

  4. #64
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,557

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Patience Chuck, perhaps someone will come forth, if they are a member of this Board.

  5. #65

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ...I'm saying "look, the stuff may be interesting, and people may be enamored of having a distillery next door, and willing to be supportive, but you can't build a business based on selling bottles nobody will finish."
    I agree with Chuck on this one. I buy a lot of bottles of under-aged micro-distillery material even though it carries a high price. But, I only buy the first bottle and almost never buy a second unless it's really great (and that's rare). So, I'm guessing few people ever buy the first under-aged bottle. And of those purchasers, few ever buy more of the same label.

  6. #66
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    321

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    I agree with Chuck on this one. I buy a lot of bottles of under-aged micro-distillery material even though it carries a high price. But, I only buy the first bottle and almost never buy a second unless it's really great (and that's rare). So, I'm guessing few people ever buy the first under-aged bottle. And of those purchasers, few ever buy more of the same label.
    Right. Wasn't the whole point of white dog the fact that it's cheap to produce, and cheap to sell? Moonshiners aren't interested in aging whiskey for 10 years. They're interested in selling their hooch to people who want their whiskey so cheap that the tax on it is a such a significant part of the price that they're willing to go to jail to save that money. That means it's got to be *damned* cheap in order to justify the purchase. And that's just not what the microdistillers are into. They want to put out a "premium" unaged product, which to me is an oxymoron when whiskey is concerned. If they want to do make money, I say they should make vodka or gin or whatever, and leave their whiskey to age instead. They shouldn't trash their brand by making overly expensive rot gut!

    I agree with Chuck. This is just a flash in the pan fad. There's a local distiller near me who sells barely-aged rye. I appreciate that they're doing it. But not enough to ever buy another bottle.

  7. #67
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    And who would you expect to be the big drinkers of white dog?

    ...

    I also consider myself the friend of the micro-distiller, even if what I practice is tough love, because I'm saying "look, the stuff may be interesting, and people may be enamored of having a distillery next door, and willing to be supportive, but you can't build a business based on selling bottles nobody will finish."

    So no, White Dog, it's not that I have anything against white dog per se, but I'm waiting in vain here for someone to come forward and say, "I love white dog, it's all I ever drink."
    That's a straw man Chuck. I don't know anyone who says "Absinthe is the only thing I ever drink" but that doesn't mean there is no market for it.

    The people I see buying white dog the most are high-end mixologists who use it in place of other white spirits when they want more "body" for a drink. Definitely not for everyone at everytime, but it has its place. Personally, I will only drink a bloody mary if it is made with white dog and I really really like it that way.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  8. #68
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,540

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    It is very correct that un- and barely-aged whiskeys have found their best and highest use in the hands of creative mixologists, who like it as an ingredient and make good use of it.

    Actually, I think there are people who only or primarily drink absinthe.

    But I stand by my opinion, prediction, admonition that if a distillery wants to be in the whiskey business they better figure out a maturation program, because whiskey needs wood and just isn't the same without it. Crotchety or not, I stand by that contention.
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-02-2011 at 08:48.

  9. #69
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    But I stand by my opinion, prediction, admonition that if a distillery wants to be in the whiskey business they better figure out a maturation program, because whiskey needs wood and just isn't the same without it. Crotchety or not, I stand by that contention.
    I won't disagree with that contention. I see unaged whiskey products filling the same role as Vodka, Gin, Liquoers, etc. They allow distilleries to put out products (and make a bit of money) while working on proper whiskey. Of course if they sell all their new make and can't put out the real stuff, then that is obviously a problem.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  10. #70
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Who Likes White Dog?

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    That's a straw man Chuck. I don't know anyone who says "Absinthe is the only thing I ever drink" but that doesn't mean there is no market for it.
    If you have ever been on an Absinthe forum, you will see lots of people who drink only or mostly Absinthe. And by the way, if you think we get into arguments about Bourbon now and then, you should check out the Absinthe flame wars. Those guys are crazy!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Am I the only one who likes Pikesville?
    By humchan2k in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 11:09
  2. Dad Likes EWSB
    By cowdery in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 00:58
  3. So, Who here likes Baker's?
    By pete_d in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 16:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top