Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

High West Pioneer!

David Perkins & High West awarded Malt Advocate's Pioneer of the Year Award.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Trippah and Admin

Thumbs down Re: High West Pioneer!

A pioneer?

The only way this makes sense is if he blends other peoples whiskey in the back of conestoga wagon while wearing clothing from the proper period.

Anyone on this board can take decent well aged whiskey and blend it to make something that tastes good. We do it all the time, but what we lack is financial backing.

It is like giving a DJ a Grammy for the way he plays other people's music on the radio.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs down Re: High West Pioneer!

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    A pioneer?

The only way this makes sense is if he blends other peoples whiskey in the back of conestoga wagon while wearing clothing from the proper period.

Anyone on this board can take decent well aged whiskey and blend it to make something that tastes good. We do it all the time, but what we lack is financial backing.

It is like giving a DJ a Grammy for the way he plays other people's music on the radio.
    I agree, Scott. Pioneer.......... tsk, tsk.... Milli Vanilli Award is more like it.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Re: High West Pioneer!

Actually for the past several years there is a "Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical" category. Seems to match pretty well.

High West is pioneering in taking the "old world" skill of blending whiskeys that seems to be perfectly respectable and accepted in Scotch and successfully applying it to "new world" American whiskey.

Enthusiast

I think your critics are un-intelligent

If it so easy, why didn't You do it and not High West- Whenever someone is doing something great, there is always a group of sheeps saying "That was easy"... :-)

And comparing it to a DJ is just too lame..try to get some focus please

He didn't get an award for serving 6 whiskies in a brilliant order, but for MAKING some great whiskeys!

I think you lack some basic knowledge about whisky (whiskey) blending to be honest, but this could be due to this is a more typical artform this side of the pond!

Big congratulations from Denmark to High West for making some brilliant whiskeys, don't listen to the nay-sayers, they have done nothing for lifting the quality of my whiskey drinking, but I can honestly say High West have.

Steffen

Irreverent One

Too true. If I had access to 16yo Barton-distilled 80% rye and 6yo LDI 95% rye, I could make some Rendezvous Rye. But I don't, so I had to buy it from High West.

Sure is good though. And, at $38, it's $2 less than (rī) (Oregon price for the latter). That's two Snickers bars!

Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

Well you also got access to all the raw materials any Michelin restaurant uses, now go cook as good food as they are doing

The fact it that High West did, You guys didn't. That's called PIONEERING when you do something others don't

Columbus "discovered" America..I guess anyone could have done that, if they had access to ships and sailed west..

If you think making good whiskey is as easy as you says, go make better stuff yourself..., and until then stfu

Steffen

Virtuoso

A pioneer?

Just because I have access to the same ingredients as a great chef, doesn't mean I can make a dish just as good. You need to have a combination of creativity, skill and a great palate to make it work, and High West does that, just like Compass Box and other great Scottish blenders do.

As to being a pioneer, who else is making high quality blends of straight American whiskey from different distillery? No one that I know of. David practically created this category in American whiskey.

And it's hard to remember now that there are dozens of LDI products out there, but David really recognized the beauty of their ryes. Prior to his products, LDI rye was going into blends and export products.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    Well you also got access to all the raw materials any Michelin restaurant uses, now go cook as good food as they are doing
    I think your own analogy is a bit off. If I had access to the FINISHED PRODUCT that a Michelin restaurant uses, not the raw materials, I might be able to combine the finished product in new and exciting ways.

Good on High West for making good blends from finished product, but I'm not quite sure that 'pioneer' fills the bill.

Also, exhorting people who you disagree with to 'stfu' is hardly a winning tactic in a debate on an open forum...
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    Columbus "discovered" America..
    Steffen
    No Leif Eriksson from Sweden did. Or at least that is what we think.
    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey