Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: High West Pioneer!

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Top Ten Qualifications for being a True Whiskey Pioneer

10. You ferment your mash with wild yeasts captured at various points along the Oregon Trail
    9. Your "Four Grain" bottling is made from corn, wild rice, amaranth and malted teocinte
    8. You age your whiskey in barrels made from hickory
    7. Every bottle is furnished with a small coonskin cap. At your Visitors Center, tourists can place the caps on their own bottles
    6. Your favorite song is R. Dean Taylor's biggest hit
    5. Your still is heated by a furnace that uses dried bison dung
    4. You're not an immigrant from a Scandinavian country, or the child of one
    3. You don't even know how to spell "Potemkin"
    2. You're the only craft whiskey distiller in the USA not selling white dog

and the Number One Qualification for being a True Whiskey Pioneer

1. Despite numerous rebuffs (and several restraining orders) you're still trying to marry into the Boone family
    Scott, this is way too funny!!!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

sorry to revive an old thread here, but this is the most recent discussion about the High West Distillery.

I just found out some new info. Where are the barrel houses? is a question I've been asking since the beginning. Apparently, they are in Salt Lake City. They've been aging their own product there since the beginning and are about to release their own aged whiskey. No details at this point, this is just an "official rumor" at this point. I'm sure there will be a big press release once the new product is officially announced.

And for the record, I also don't think blending two whiskeys makes them a pioneer. Some of the other obstacles they've faced here in Utah probably makes the pioneer claim a little better than the blender tag. If you're ever in Park City, you have to take the tour of the place.
    Last edited by miller542; 11-03-2011 at 13:43.

Advanced Taster

Miller542, they have been aging their own whiskeys since the start. David Perkins said he'll release it when he feels it's ready. As of this past April he said the aged stuff was good but he wanted to give it some more time.

They have also just released a new "white" whiskey, a Rye called OMG Pure Rye. If you like white dogs, it's a beast of a rye with loads of spice, rye grain character, and big fruit as well. It should age very well, and they'll be doing so as well as doing some other pretty cool things with it.

Advanced Taster

This is directly from David Perkins:

"Its our first aged whiskey. Its our oat whiskey aged in second fill rye whiskey barrels. We are releasing a barrel at 1.5 years this repeal day, just for fun. We are calling it Valley Tan, after the whiskey that the Mormons made. Its very unusual and good (not great yet! needs another couple years). "
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHansell View Post

"Its our first aged whiskey. Its our oat whiskey aged in second fill rye whiskey barrels. We are releasing a barrel at 1.5 years this repeal day, just for fun. We are calling it Valley Tan, after the whiskey that the Mormons made. Its very unusual and good (not great yet! needs another couple years). "
    Thanks for the info John, I think I will be taking a pass on this one.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHansell View Post

thanks indeed. Not sure how much I'll seek out something thats been aged 1.5yrs in used oak, but it is something. I'm still looking forward for the release of something 4yrs or older from High West. Like many of the big boys, they are doing lots of experimental batches. If you take the tour, you'll notice they have many other distillers experimental bottles on hand too.

Repeal day, for those like me that don't already have it on your calendar, is December 5th.

Taster

Just wanted to pass along this story from tonight:

High West did a tasting at my local liquor store. They had their double rye, their white whiskey, their Manhattan mix, and then a 21 year old rye they were selling for $149 or so. I tried the 21 year old and it was good, but knowing that they didn't actually make it made it less, well, impressive.

The guy repping it was cool...a couple guys stood around and had several pours of the good stuff. He was certainly passing it out and seemed to know his stuff.

Anyway, no point really, just glad I knew that the 21 year stuff wasn't actually theirs--gave me some good perspective.

Oh and I didn't buy anything.

Virtuoso

Or you could have read the label on the 21 where it clearly states HW didn't make it. Sorry "that info" diminished the taste in your glass.

Did you try the new Son of Bourye? Thought that was mighty tasty too, and at a decent price point.

Taster

The tasting guy didn't have the bourye. I would have loved to have a taste of that.

It didn't diminish the taste, just makes the product less impressive knowing they didn't make it. Maybe that's a distinction without a difference.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by keith18 View Post
    Oh and I didn't buy anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by keith18 View Post
    It didn't diminish the taste, just makes the product less impressive knowing they didn't make it. Maybe that's a distinction without a difference.
    Would you buy it if you rated it higher than your favorite whiskey in a blind taste test?

I think there's a point at which "who the hell cares where it comes from, that's some good hooch" comes into play.