Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Irreverent One

Re: High West Pioneer!

Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    Columbus "discovered" America...
    Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    No Leif Eriksson from Sweden did.
    Let me ask my Calipooia friend, Chief Bad Water, about this.

"Chief, we're trying to settle a dispute. Who discovered America, Leif Eriksson or Christopher Columbus?

"You people are idiots."
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    No Leif Eriksson from Sweden did. Or at least that is what we think.
    Leif
    I thought Erik 'The Red', Leif's father was a Norwegian.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There may have been a spelling error. I think he was supposed to win "Potemkin of the Year."

(FYI, although I write for Malt Advocate I have no role in their awards.)

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

"STFU...un-intelligent...sheep...lame..." Steff, did my wife put you up to this?? No wait, there would have been a dipshit, in there, too.

Anywho, I've tried some of the HW concoctions. And, I in fact, find them quite good. And, I really don't care how they got there....Really! It's just that when I think of the word "pioneer", I think of something more....substantive?...than, blending. I think of building things, making things from scratch, something from nothing, venturing into new areas (blending's been done, is being done, and will continue to be done. Even with whiskies from different distilleries), pushing the envelope of things that haven't been tried. I don't know, honoring the blending of someone else's investments just seems kinda...flat...to me. Maybe, it's our new love affair with everything "mixologist". Ya know, I would have been more OK if one of HW's whiskies was named "Whiskey of the Year", or "Rye whiskey of the year", or something like that. But, "pioneer", not so much.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Okay, here's the real deal. Perkins got caught trying to pass off sourced whiskey as something he made. He quickly invented this story about the fine art of blending and his greatest accomplishment is that he got so many people to fall for it. "Hustler of the Year" is more like it.

Part of it is that people who have invested the considerable price for his product feel better about themselves if they cast themselves as defenders of an unfairly pilloried artisan instead of as what they really are, which is dupes.

But everybody is entitled to their opinion.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-24-2011 at 14:19.

Enthusiast

Sorry for the harsh words.

I think I should moderate my participation in discussions on this forum. Our basic definitions and approach to the world of whisk(e)y simply doesn't match. Nor does the logic of argumentation. And it's too hard to discuss matters with people if you don't share some kind of basic foundations

Steffen

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    I think I should moderate my participation in discussions on this forum. Our basic definitions and approach to the world of whisk(e)y simply doesn't match. Nor does the logic of argumentation. And it's too hard to discuss matters with people if you don't share some kind of basic foundations
    Don't limit your participation just because you may disagree with
    someone's views/opinions. If everyone did that, there'd be no one
    here.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Guru

Chuck would you elaborate on 'got caught' part, within whatever limits of discretion to which you may be bound.

By "caught" I mean "exposed." People like me started to write about how this great new rye from a little distillery in Utah was actually from a great big old distillery in Indiana. That's when he suddenly discovered his inner blender.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Okay, here's the real deal. Perkins got caught trying to pass off sourced whiskey as something he made. He quickly invented this story about the fine art of blending and his greatest accomplishment is that he got so many people to fall for it. "Hustler of the Year" is more like it.

Part of it is that people who have invested the considerable price for his product feel better about themselves if they cast themselves as defenders of an unfairly pilloried artisan instead of as what they really are, which is dupes.
    Chuck, I don't recall Perkins ever portraying his rye whiskeys as distilled in Utah. The label on Rendezvous always said it was sourced from "back east."

Also, I don't think the dupes characterization is appropriate. I buy High West products will full knowledge that they are sourced whiskey (and have always known it to be so). I do so because I like the product, the same reason I buy Compass Box Scotch. What's the big deal?