Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: High West Pioneer!

I do agree partly with both sides. I donít doubt that many members here cold do as good or better blends with the same material. However you have to get this material and do it in a commercial level. None of the big American blending firms (many of them members here) have got assess to this much different ryes as it seems to me and made blends of them. David did do that so thatís the thing that makes him a pioneer as I see it.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast

Im still not sure they necessarily deserved pioneer of the year. But, that being said, I feel that of all the small operations going on right now (notice I didn't use the word "distillery"), they seem to be getting the best results.

Just my humble opinion (I don't claim to be anywhere near the expert others on here seem to be).

Also- I kind of like all the controversy that this award has stirred up.

Virtuoso

What High West is doing doesn't bother me, but it is hardly pioneering.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    Also- I kind of like all the controversy that this award has stirred up.
    I get the feeling that Malt Advocate does too.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

All you grumpy grouches are missing some good juice if you pass on HW products because of some PR flacks over enthusiasm awhile ago.
    Without his determined enthusiasm most that tasty stuff he bottles would be flavoring some milktoast Canadian whiskey and I never would have had the opportunity to taste it.
    I have always found David to be a straight up honest and willing to answer any question I asked.
    Congrats on the award David.

Virtuoso

The person who puts the good whiskey into a bottle that I can buy gets my vote. High West has been doing a great job of doing exactly that.

High West is a pioneer for the same reason that Van Winkle and KBD are: they get the great whiskey out of hidden corners of warehouses and away from mediocre vattings to let us have taste experiences the stodgy old marketing didn't think anyone would or even should want.

The distilleries are starting to catch up, first with timid, limited releases (BTAC, Parker's) that are now in full bloom and soon perhaps whole product lines (Four Roses Private Selection) to do battle with the tiny producers who are leading the way.

That is why High West is a pioneer.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    The person who puts the good whiskey into a bottle that I can buy gets my vote. High West has been doing a great job of doing exactly that.

High West is a pioneer for the same reason that Van Winkle and KBD are: they get the great whiskey out of hidden corners of warehouses and away from mediocre vattings to let us have taste experiences the stodgy old marketing didn't think anyone would or even should want.

The distilleries are starting to catch up, first with timid, limited releases (BTAC, Parker's) that are now in full bloom and soon perhaps whole product lines (Four Roses Private Selection) to do battle with the tiny producers who are leading the way.

That is why High West is a pioneer.
    But, Roger, if as you say "High West is a pioneer for the same reason that Van Winkle and KBD are"...doesn't that run counter to the idea of "pioneer"? Particulary, since both, (and as you rightly include BT's BTAC) were around years before HW even existed?

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced...No way. I just don't see anything "pioneering" about what High West does. But, it ain't my award to give. But...BUT....my opinion and 99 cents will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    By "caught" I mean "exposed." People like me started to write about how this great new rye from a little distillery in Utah was actually from a great big old distillery in Indiana. That's when he suddenly discovered his inner blender.
    I never saw any of the first release labels but it seems to me that you jumped all over High West for misrepresenting themselves and then had to back it way off when you realized that they did in fact clear that up all over the label, and you had jumped the gun bigtime.

Admit it Chuck. You don't like rectifiers, and you don't like David Perkins.

Perkins has demonstrated a lot of skill with what he does, and he is doing something else that no one else has been doing lately.... and he does a damn good job of it.

At least you stick to your opinion, and loudly- unlike some people in the whiskey business. I respect you for that, Chuck.

I gotta say I hate hearing it when people say things like "I could be doing it better." You could what? make a better touchdown? coach a better team? blend a better whiskey? Then quit your damn job, take the risk, and do it.

If not a "pioneering award" then Perkins definitely deserved some sort of recognition. He's one of the best rectifiers in the business.

Give him the shrewd businessperson award, then. He recognized that Rye was on a rebound and although risky, he could make a good whiskey and some good money rectifying and blending. I don't think the Van Winkles buying whiskey from what used to be their families distillery 40 years ago is the same thing at all.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 02-25-2011 at 18:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

I buy and enjoy HW products and bear no ill will toward David Perkins. But what Perkins is doing is no different than what Parker & Craig Beam do or Jimmy Russell does. They all take whiskeys of different ages from the same distillery and blend them together to produce a yummy product. I don't see the difference, really. OK, so Perkins also blended a bourbon and a rye together to make a yummy product. That's something. But again, I don't think that qualfies him as a pioneer.

What I don't understand is why so many people jump to his defense when the least bit of skeptism is shot his way. It's almost as bad as the Justin Bieber fans jumping on Esperanza Spaulding a couple weeks ago.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Josh, I think you are right on.

The best analogy is probably what is going on at Four Rose every day. 10 recipes, and countless phenomenal products. The folks there have the ability to make good whiskey AND the ability to blend across diverse offerings to create stunning whiskeys.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.