Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: High West Pioneer!

Is this any different from Austin, Nichols. Didn't they source their bourbon before buying a distillery? Seems like if you enjoy the product... then why the fuss. It's just money. If you like it... Buy it. Who gives a shit that someone else thinks your pissing your money away?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    Is this any different from Austin, Nichols. Didn't they source their bourbon before buying a distillery? Seems like if you enjoy the product... then why the fuss. It's just money. If you like it... Buy it. Who gives a shit that someone else thinks your pissing your money away?
    I haven't heard anyone critique the actual products being produced by HW... far from it actually... I just think most of us disagree what is going on there is pioneering in anyway.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I haven't heard anyone critique the actual products being produced by HW... far from it actually... I just think most of us disagree what is going on there is pioneering in anyway.
    I can agree with that. There is a difference between a pioneer and a capitalist. Bourbon often reminds me of my days in college when I rolled that fat chick at a frat party. At the end of the day... what was on the inside mattered most.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

What I don't understand is why so many people jump to his defense when the least bit of skeptism is shot his way. It's almost as bad as the Justin Bieber fans jumping on Esperanza Spaulding a couple weeks ago.
    Skepticism is fine.... But do you think Chuck's posts both here and on his blog are the least bit of skepticism?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Skepticism is fine.... But do you think Chuck's posts both here and on his blog are the least bit of skepticism?
    Ahh.... Chuck is crotchety... we all know that.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Since ErichPriyde wants to put such a fine point on it, here is what happened way back when.

When I made my first posts about High West, prompted by some inquiry I received about "this new rye from Utah," the only information I could find about them was in articles in Utah lifestyle publications, all of which either stated or strongly implied that the whiskey was made in Utah. Though I don't recall if I ever found the actual press release, the pieces were all obviously based on one.

I posted, pointing out that a brand new distillery in Utah couldn't have made a 16-year-old rye, and that this sounded like Templeton, which was also in my sights for the same thing. High West had a URL but it linked to the host's "Under Construction" page. A few days later the first, single-page web site for High West appeared and acknowledged that they had sourced this whiskey to sell, you know, until their own whiskey was ready. I acknowledged the web site's appearance and issued a correction.

At that point I was under attack from Templeton's sock puppets. Soon Perkins and his sock puppets joined in. It was all very defensive and wasn't I just a meany, and a shill for Big Whiskey, and all that.

The whole Master Blender thing came much later.

I have since had several pleasant conversations with both David Perkins and Scott Bush but that's how it began. So if that's backing off big time, fine.

And I am like Esperanza Spaulding in so many ways.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-25-2011 at 23:50.

Virtuoso

Put such a fine point on it?

I wasn't around when Perkins first started selling his product, so I don't know what was claimed. Maybe he did try to pull one over everybody's eyes and sell a 16 year old whiskey as something he made himself. Maybe the first run of labels were different than the current ones. Maybe when Perkins said that you didn't try very hard to track him down he was lying.

Maybe. but since then he's been very, very transparent with his information. Significantly more transparent than many of the rectifiers out there.

Part of it is that people who have invested the considerable price for his product feel better about themselves if they cast themselves as defenders of an unfairly pilloried artisan instead of as what they really are, which is dupes.
    Because the whiskey isn't good, or because he didn't make it himself? Because it's too expensive? California costco has Rendevous available for under 40 bucks. Is that too much to pay for that type of thing?

I guess with your logic we should also feel sorry for all of the people buying PVW, man are they getting ripped off. And after the Van Winkles sold the distillery, all the stuff they were bottling then (including some late runs of Very Old Fitzgerald), well those must have been garbage too, right?

Your posts in this thread alone make it very clear what you think of Perkins and High West. You've got a lot of transparency from Perkins now... is the potemkin horse dead?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Your posts in this thread alone make it very clear what you think of Perkins and High West.
    Agreed.

You've got a lot of transparency from Perkins now... is the potemkin horse dead?
    You're beating it too, my man. I'm the one saying, "this is just me, I get where y'all are coming from."

Guru

I'm not talking about Chuck's posts, I'm talking about when I or others say "I like HW stuff but I don't think they're that innovative" or "I like HW stuff but you can't compare them to Compass Box b/c the Scotch world is totally different" or something mild like that and I get a bunch of people jumping down my throat.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: High West Pioneer! Not!

John Hansell started out this award by saying it was going to be controversial. It is his award so he can give to anyone he wants. However, we are free to bash him on his blog and these boards. I don't think David Perkins is a "Pioneer" and thought this was a terrible choice. I know John reads this board, I called him a sell out on his blog for this selection - which was just plain mean - John - sorry for that, but hey still think you made a dumb decision on this award.