Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Father's Day Article on ESPN about Pappy

I am serious -

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ppy-van-winkle

And you thought competition to get bottles of it was hard now? This just makes it even worse!

Disciple

Re: Father's Day Article on ESPN about Pappy

Ohh Jeeze. This is getting out of hand.

The best part for me, they don't mention my two favorite bottlings in the article.

FTFA:
    If you know what Pappy Van Winkle is, you're already mad at me.
    At least he announced that he was out of ideas for a story. How long till 23 shows up in Rap vids?
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Virtuoso

What is this rubbish about 20 years 107 proof? Wasn't the 23 year decanter set 107? The barrel-proof 20 year is my dream dram, but I didn't think it existed... A goof or is this Sean Brock fellow just well-positioned?

Oh, and I picked up two 20-years for a buddy of mine just last week: one for him and one for his pappy. My dad doesn't drink.
    Last edited by AaronWF; 06-17-2011 at 11:05.

Novice

i'm a little turned off by the fact that he focuses on Pappy so obsessively, and that he openly brags about cleaning out any store that he finds with it on the shelves. Pappy Van Winkle is great, sometimes superlative bourbon, but to de facto call it the best without any qualifications is a bit much to me, at least. And then the fact that he asks for it on the rocks in the story... I know that John Hansell recently wrote about how it's snobbish to only drink whiskey in a certain way every time, and I agree, but if you really think Pappy is that special, then diluting it with ice doesn't seem the best way to appreciate something that rare and complexly flavored...

Virtuoso

Here's hoping no one reads his article ...

I can't imagine what it must be like trying to plan production for this product. Who knows what the craze will be 15, 20, or 23 yrs from now.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    What is this rubbish about 20 years 107 proof? Wasn't the 23 year decanter set 107? The barrel-proof 20 year is my dream dram, but I didn't think it existed... A goof or is this Sean Brock fellow just well-positioned?

Oh, and I picked up two 20-years for a buddy of mine just last week: one for him and one for his pappy. My dad doesn't drink.

Well it says it was a special bottling. 107 20 year sounds awesome though. Special release this fall one time?!?! The Decanter set is 114 if I remember correctly.

Virtuoso

I'm sure the stuff is good/great... all of them, but I will never see one, let alone get to try it, so, I really don't bother with all the Pappy hype.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    , I really don't bother with all the Pappy hype.
    I'm with ya.
    The 15yo is dry, the 20yo is watery and the 23yo is $230.00.
    ovh

Disciple

I've got a feeling that this "collectible" will not hold it's value as a long-term investment. There are too many articles like this that would persuade even a non-drinker to buy a few cases and sit on it.

I don't plan on selling any of mine, but when I run out, I'm guessing that the cost of a bottle on eBay will be less than they are currently selling for.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I've got a feeling that this "collectible" will not hold it's value as a long-term investment. There are too many articles like this that would persuade even a non-drinker to buy a few cases and sit on it.

I don't plan on selling any of mine, but when I run out, I'm guessing that the cost of a bottle on eBay will be less than they are currently selling for.
    It's really a very simple case of supply and demand. When the supply runs out if the demand is still there the prices will go up. A few articles or avg Joe non drinkers buying only to resell later is not even close to enough to drive prices below current retail pricing. That would be great but it won't happen.