Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

What not to buy.

Since I am still a beginner and still trying to develop my palate, I am looking for the more experience here to help me steer a course. My budget is extremely limited but with taking my time a saving my money I could see spending $40.00 for a bottle of bourbon or asking my family to go in together say for a birthday present or something.

Generally I drink Evan Willams Black as an everyday bottle. I have had Maker's Mark, Old Crow Reserve, and now a bottle of Old Weller Antique.

What I would like to see is a list of bourbons NOT to buy. Either for quality reasons or there are just better values out there. I just don't want to waste my time and money with rot gut.

Disciple

Re: What not to buy.

This is very subjective, but I would avoid Bookers, Bakers, and Basil.

Disciple

Don't buy anything you don't like to drink.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Taster

I feel like every product that has been around for more than just one season has its place in the market. Otherwise, I'd assume that production would shut down. Now, where that product fits, and how that area compares with your own tastes is a very good question; a question with as many answers as whisk(e)y drinkers. One person's never-buy is another persons reliable buy.

That said, since you approached the question the way you did, you're probably very open to trying a wide variety of whiskies. I suggest picking up a new sub-$20 bottle each time you're out to buy. When you go through that entire range, start doing the saving for those sub-$40 bottles.

I've found myself realizing that you don't need to always spend a lot to get a product you enjoy. Unfortunately, it often takes spending the extra money on more expensive bottles that you end up disliking to realize some of those lower priced bottles are great whiskies.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Agreed on the subjective nature of the question. For instance, I have strayed from the Jim Beam White Label because of negative reviews, but will try the Black Label.

I have actually had my eye on the Bookers, Bakers, and Basil but the price scared me away.

I have also pretty much stayed away from Jack Daniels too because it isn't a bourbon.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    I have also pretty much stayed away from Jack Daniels too because it isn't a bourbon.
    I like Jack Daniels Single Barrel very much, but now you're in the $45 to $50ish price range. A lot of people really like the export-only JD Silver Select as well, which can also be found in Duty Free sections at the airport.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I'll second this one for sure.

Enthusiast

I quite enjoy Bookers, although I do think it's overpriced. Never had bakers, but definitely stay away from Basil Hayden's. I personally would steer clear of the Redemption stuff. I was sold by the look and I won't be fooled twice.

Virtuoso

Very personal decision based on your palate and wallet. Every bourbon mentioned above has a following so they are all enjoyed by a fair number of folks. Taste them all and make your own call...JMHO
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Heartily second CigarNV's post. You're essentially asking us what we like to drink to establish what you should drink. If you like Jim Beam White, more power to you. Don't worry what folks here say, it's your palate after all.

This is all very similar to wine. People sometimes lament the fact that they didn't enjoy a wine that was highly-rated by a wine writer. Well, their palate is different to yours...and the only way to truly know what YOU like is to taste. It takes a bit more time (and money), but the payoff in truly personal satisfaction is huge.

If everyone liked the same Bourbon, we'd have very few choices on the shelves. Thank Gawd we're all different, and there's plenty of variety out there!
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY