Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 75
  1. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,010

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I don't know. How in the dark are you really?

    I guess buying at retail is one thing. But when you buy a private selection (like many if not most are) do you really not know or are you just asked as a gentleman to not crow about it (heh, heh) on the internet? On the other hand if you buy say, Wild Turkey for instance, are you really sure you know where all of its juice came from?

    Roger
    I'm sure that if you do a private barreling you know where it came from you can read the barrel head. I think your supposed to keep it to yourself. I believe Drew was a little unhappy about somebody telling everyone where his barrel came from on here. If I got the story straight he threatened not to do barrel purchases for SB members any more at the time.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  2. #22
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,556

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    I guess their European customers are not so inquisitive.

  3. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,010

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I guess their European customers are not so inquisitive.

    Or can not read English
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,556

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    Perhaps one of our European members would care to chime in and tell us exactly what is on the label there.

  5. #25
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Perhaps one of our European members would care to chime in and tell us exactly what is on the label there.
    More or less everything. No contract bullshit here. That is bottles that are bottled by European bottlers.
    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  6. #26
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    181

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    Shoppers Vineyard has their barrel available, for those who want to do mail-order. Three years old, 115.3 proof:

    http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/stor...-108p15393.htm

  7. #27
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Apt. #2890c
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    I just got a few bottles in and I must say I am impressed for such a young rye..

    As for color I find it a bit darker than I expected. The nose is spice, honey, oak, ginger and a real sweetness. Very attractive with little of the proof coming forward.

    As for the palate this is a very sweet rye... lots of honey, gingerbread and a rum/raisin ice cream kind of flavor. The mint is there but to my palate it is very reserved unlike the Bulliet Rye which was like mouth wash. No bitterness and surprisingly the heat while there is not a distraction. Decent complexity, good balance and what is most unusual, a nice long finish. I still can't get over the sweetness of this rye.... and I am a sucker for sweetness. Helping the length is the fact that it has a very creamy and coating mouth feel. To me this shows far better than a 3YO, possibly due to the proof. The best of the Willett 3YO rye's so far. This will make a kick ass Manhattan or Sazerac....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

  8. #28
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northwestern CT
    Posts
    393

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    I just got a few bottles in and I must say I am impressed for such a young rye..

    As for color I find it a bit darker than I expected. The nose is spice, honey, oak, ginger and a real sweetness. Very attractive with little of the proof coming forward.

    As for the palate this is a very sweet rye... lots of honey, gingerbread and a rum/raisin ice cream kind of flavor. The mint is there but to my palate it is very reserved unlike the Bulliet Rye which was like mouth wash. No bitterness and surprisingly the heat while there is not a distraction. Decent complexity, good balance and what is most unusual, a nice long finish. I still can't get over the sweetness of this rye.... and I am a sucker for sweetness. Helping the length is the fact that it has a very creamy and coating mouth feel. To me this shows far better than a 3YO, possibly due to the proof. The best of the Willett 3YO rye's so far. This will make a kick ass Manhattan or Sazerac....

    Nice notes, picking up my two today from UPS!
    -Kevin

    "Why? Because it's delicious!"


    Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

  9. #29
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Apt. #2890c
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    Nice notes, picking up my two today from UPS!
    Kevin, I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on this rye....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

  10. #30
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,540

    Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

    This has probably been covered but whose juice is this? LDI?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey
    By Kevin in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 19:36
  2. Pennypacker Straight Bourbon Whiskey
    By urotsukidoji in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 16:44
  3. Straight Rye Whiskey
    By jl344 in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 06:05
  4. Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey
    By TNbourbon in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 11:13
  5. What's your favorite straight rye whiskey bottling?
    By Paradox in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 20:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top