Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    OK...thanks very much!
    I am eager to get a bottle. I had the 4 year Nd it was quite nice even for the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

Re: Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I am eager to get a bottle. I had the 4 year Nd it was quite nice even for the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah...maybe. So far, I am not much for the LDI ryes though...just lacks something I cherish in rye. IDK, maybe Mr. Stagg has burnt up my taste buds to the point nothing is the same as it once was...lol

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Yeah...maybe. So far, I am not much for the LDI ryes though...just lacks something I cherish in rye. IDK, maybe Mr. Stagg has burnt up my taste buds to the point nothing is the same as it once was...lol
    I understand the lack of enthusiasm for LDI Rye, based on other bottlings, but I would recommend giving the Willet a go. It's by far my favorite of the LDI bunch, maybe due to the ABV. And hey, what have you got to lose?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I understand the lack of enthusiasm for LDI Rye, based on other bottlings, but I would recommend giving the Willet a go. It's by far my favorite of the LDI bunch, maybe due to the ABV. And hey, what have you got to lose?
    I'd give this a hearty second. Having tried many of the others, Willett does stand above them. It makes a good argument about higher proof's being more flavorful.

I'd love to see this line in a longer age from LDI/Willett, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much on this one.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    And hey, what have you got to lose?
    You guys have just about talked me into it. Only problem is the new year funds being as they are, have me in a corner. Which is the better choice: 2 of the Willett 5yo OR the BMH 18 I passed on the other day (a dusty in an out-of-the-way store...$90 might explain why)?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like the LDI rye, but if you've had one you've had them all. Probably the best one is Bulleit Rye, in terms of what you get for the price.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I like the LDI rye, but if you've had one you've had them all. Probably the best one is Bulleit Rye, in terms of what you get for the price.
    It's also the oldest of them, right? I had read it's 6-7 years old.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Chuck, check out West Lakeview Liquors' 1B 3yo Willet Rye. A lot of sweet wintergreen for $35.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Personally, I might go with the BMH, just for the fact that it is not going to be widely available, or probably much lower in price anywhere. While the Willett will be somewhat more easy to find again in a couple of months.

Chuck, I'd generally agree with you about the Bulleit, out our the other usual suspect on the market that are LDI based, it is the best of the bunch for the price. But I would still tip the scale in favor of the Willett, it still is just a bit deeper than the Bulleit in terms of it's overall flavor profile. Straight, a bit of water or in a cocktail, it's a mighty fine pour, even if it is a few dollar more than Bulleit.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Personally, I might go with the BMH, just for the fact that it is not going to be widely available, or probably much lower in price anywhere.
    Yep, that's the way I am leaning and now that Chuck has thrown Bulleit into the discussion it reminds me that I have ever tried it. Been doing some online research on reviews of the BMH18 this afternoon. Not too many shining ones to say the least. Seems the majority have found it lacking for the price and the BMH23 a lot better buy. Both are dinosaurs from the latest news though as old rye supply is running low & out.