Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Why don't I like Bulleit?

I get a sort of red hots aftertaste like I do with Four Roses.
    Why do you suppose that would be? I suspect you may be on to something.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    I finally tried OGD114 and I am not sure what to think. It's hot and spicy, which I typically like, but it's also sharp and burn-y in a way I'm not sure yet if I appreciate.
    Interesting that OGD114 has been mentioned in this discussion!

I coincidentally picked up a bottle of it yesterday because it was on sale. Never imagined I'd be giving this high-proofer a go -- I'm going to try it out tonight.

Thanks for all the interesting responses about Bulleit. Seems I'm not alone in my dislike. But I would clarify that it's not that I really dislike it--I exaggerated somewhat to see what kind of discussion I could spark--it's just that it can't compare to my favorites. I'd rather spend my money on something I truly enjoy.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    And while I do love high-rye recipes, especially OGD114 and various FR releases, Bulleit never tastes "complete" to me.
    I agree about Bulleit not tasting "complete". I had the feeling something was missing, that it was a little thin.

I am enjoying the OGD 114 right now. It is definitely a little sharp, the first sip had a burn I could feel all the way down the gullet into my guts. But overall not bad. Might be good on the rocks.

It does seem to have a bit a of peanut butter taste which I've noticed with a few bourbons. Can anyone explain what this is?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Robmo View Post
    I agree about Bulleit not tasting "complete". I had the feeling something was missing, that it was a little thin.

I am enjoying the OGD 114 right now. It is definitely a little sharp, the first sip had a burn I could feel all the way down the gullet into my guts. But overall not bad. Might be good on the rocks.

It does seem to have a bit a of peanut butter taste which I've noticed with a few bourbons. Can anyone explain what this is?
    Before you add ice, try cutting it slightly with a small amount of water. While I love OGD114 neat, on certain days my pallet prefers OGDBiB.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Before you add ice, try cutting it slightly with a small amount of water. While I love OGD114 neat, on certain days my pallet prefers OGDBiB.

I agree. A splash of water brings out big notes of oats and honey and tempers the cinnamon/char at the finish.

For the record though, I drink OGD 114 neat, with water, or on ice, depending on mood... it is really versatile and I can't say that I really prefer it one way over the others. I can't say that for every whiskey in my cabinet.

Guru

It is versatile indeed but I rarely buy it, preferring the BIB.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It is versatile indeed but I rarely buy it, preferring the BIB.
    The BiB has been on my "to try" list for some time. I actually set out thinking I was going to pick up a bottle of it and ended up with the 114. Look forward to more tasting adventures with both.

I want to try the 114 in an old-fashioned, too. The spiciness and heat will compliment the sugar and bitters well I think.

Guru

It does shine through Rob, this expression is a puzzle to me in that any day I expect to see it in a new design bottle with higher price.

Advanced Taster

It does shine through Rob, this expression is a puzzle to me in that any day I expect to see it in a new design bottle with higher price.
    Even though I don't drink it very often, I hope they don't change the price or bottle of OGD 114, I like it the way it is.

As for Bulleit, I'm not a fan either, but it's been a long time since I tried it. I guess I should give it another shot one of these days. It's hard to RE-try something I didn't like the first time, when there are so many other good bottles to put my bourbon $$ toward.
    Chris/Oregon

Advanced Taster

Not sure if you're talking about OGD 114 here or not, but yeah I like that it's so unpretentious. Sort of a throwback to the 70s before designer bourbon bottles.