Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Enthusiast

Re: Why don't I like Bulleit?

Totally off topic here but I hop Robmo is doing well. It must be a tough time in Tokyo these days.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HRay View Post
    I guess I would still put myself in the "Like it" camp although I used to drink it much more that I do now. I seem to have moved on to other high rye bourbons. It also seems that it used to cost less. Doesn't it now come from Jim Beam instead of Four Roses?

I am going to have to open my dusty bottle of Old GrandDad 114 that has been sitting on my shelf for a while. The last time I tasted it, I found it a little harsh but I do like the high rye recipe as well as the price. This is a Jim Beam distillate as well, isn't it?
    I'm with you, HRay....I like it as well. Maker's Mark and Bulleit used to be my "go to" pours, although since joining this forum my eyes have been opened to many new and delicious options. I actually haven't had either since January (with the exception being the new Bulleit Rye), but I still think both are very good, uncomplicated bourbons - perfectly fine to be mixed or drink on the rocks...i never really drink either one straight.

OGD 114 is one of the bourbons that I discovered through SB.com, and I do like it very much. It has become more of a "go to" pour than Maker's or Bulleit - to me it has more depth and flavor and the higher alcohol content helps.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Totally off topic here but I hop Robmo is doing well. It must be a tough time in Tokyo these days.
    Thanks for asking! It's tough, you're right.

I think we're gonna make it through this. The reactors are in the process of being stabilized and while the situation is far from perfect, I have confidence that the worst is behind us. Unfortunately it's raining today and that makes me just nervous enough to want my daughter to stay indoors.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HRay View Post
    Doesn't it now come from Jim Beam instead of Four Roses?

I am going to have to open my dusty bottle of Old GrandDad 114 that has been sitting on my shelf for a while. The last time I tasted it, I found it a little harsh but I do like the high rye recipe as well as the price. This is a Jim Beam distillate as well, isn't it?
    I believe Bulleit is in the is in the Moet Hennessy Diageo stable rather than the Fortune Brands/Jim Beam stable, although according to Wikipedia it's distilled by Four Roses. All interesting to contemplate.

http://www.mhdkk.com/luxury/bulleit_bourbon.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulleit_Bourbon

OGD is part of the Fortune/JB stable though.