Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon in Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by sanzoluk View Post
    I have like 15 open bottles, 5 more stocked, and no room to store them in the apartment.
    Surely you have room for one more bottle...
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Gents, it's not technically bourbon, but two days ago, Queen's Quay LCBO still had some barrel 11-0069 Jack Daniels Single Barrel (about 10 by my count, maybe more in the back). This is by far the best Jack SB I've ever had, a soft rich brandy-like number that has a really good straight whiskey taste. It doesn't much resemble regular Jack - some Jack single barrels do but this one is in a special class.

Gary

Apprentice

They had a number of 11-0069 JDSB at Summerhill as well.

I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare and 1792 while there. FWIW sanzoluk, the Eagle Rare has a very small foot print. I think you can squeeze it in...

Also FYI for any Booker's fans, according to LCBO inventory there are only 13 bottles left in the province. I was able to get one via an Inter Store Transfer.

Apprentice

Gary - Thank you for the JDSB 11069 recommendation. I was back at Summerhill today and picked up a bottle. My first impression was that it tasted a bit medicinal. But it's growing on me. Wood. Smoke. Fruit. I do still get the regular JD profile, it's just much more refined.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Glad you like it, there is some connection with the regular profile (I had mentioned this earlier), but it is much better in my opinion. The medicinal taste is a traditional bourbon flavour from the time when bourbon was more estery than it is today. In tasting this 11-0069, I was continually reminded of tasting bourbons at gazebos from an older time.

Gary

Apprentice

Giddy up. Looks like Blanton's is back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by DAM View Post
    Giddy up. Looks like Blanton's is back.
    Excellent. I saw signs of it coming out this way, and have found inventory for two stores so far, but am wondering if and when we'll see more. I swung by my local LCBO today and found nada.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    Excellent. I saw signs of it coming out this way, and have found inventory for two stores so far, but am wondering if and when we'll see more. I swung by my local LCBO today and found nada.
    I was surprised to see it listed yesterday as I hadn't seen any mention of it anywhere.

Apparently the LCBO is doing it's year end inventory between now and the beginning of April. The two stores listing are just the first to log it in to the system (and probably put it in a little earlier than they're supposed to).

When I called the Brock Ave store they didn't know what I was talking about at first but eventually found it stashed in the office area.

p.s. I had not had Blanton's before and am really liking it. It's got nice spice notes and is definitely not bland like the other 80 proofer I've had, Basil Hayden's. I also find it to be light years ahead of regular Buffalo Trace.
    Last edited by DAM; 03-26-2011 at 06:02.

Advanced Taster

Apparently the LCBO is doing it's year end inventory between now and the beginning of April. The two stores listing are just the first to log it in to the system (and probably put it in a little earlier than they're supposed to).
    Ah, that explains it.

p.s. I had not had Blanton's before and am really liking it. It's got nice spice notes and is definitely not bland like the other 80 proofer I've had, Basil Hayden's. I also find it to be light years ahead of regular Buffalo Trace.
    Light years ahead of BT, eh? Well that's interesting. Blanton's uses Buffalo Trace's low corn mash bill and is single barrel (the original single barrel, for that matter), so I imagine they could be fairly different products. I haven't tasted any BT products using mash bill #2, so I'm excited to give this one a whirl.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    Ah, that explains it.

Light years ahead of BT, eh? Well that's interesting. Blanton's uses Buffalo Trace's low corn mash bill and is single barrel (the original single barrel, for that matter), so I imagine they could be fairly different products. I haven't tasted any BT products using mash bill #2, so I'm excited to give this one a whirl.
    Thanks. Still getting my bearings. Didn't realize they had two rye mash bills. Good to know. I'm not really a fan of Eagle Rare so far. Definitely looking forward to trying ETL and RHF.