Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BOTM 10/11: Angel's Envy

Thanks to Flyfish for the reminder about posting the BOTM, and thanks to Chuckles for the suggestion.

Back to another "newer" bourbon this month. Angels Envy.

It's been a while since I've had this, but I'll try and give my thoughts as best as I can from memory. Short description this time around. In a nutshell, light and sweet. A little nut flavor is apparent, but the main flavor I remember is a floral/fruitiness that is easy on the palate. A great bourbon to pour on a hot summer day, or if you don't feel the need for something heavy or high proof.

Let's here what you have to say. Cheers y'all. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 10/11: Angel's Envy

I enjoy this bourbon, and I like the fact that more bourbon producers are experimenting with different kinds of finishes. That said, for the price I paid for a bottle of this, I was hoping for/expecting more flavor.

Advanced Taster

Its not a bad bourbon at all, but the $45+ price tag around these parts is a little bit too much in my opinion. I feel more time in the port casks would do it well. I found it to be just slightly sweet, pretty smooth and overall enjoyable. I agree that it would make a better summer sipper than a winter warmer. I would be interested to see what more time in port casks would do to it, would certainly gain a richer color and perhaps more sweetness that usually isn't found in a bourbon.

Taster

What Joe said pretty much is what i think of it, except i didnt get any nut flavor with it. I enjoyed it and would buy it again.

Guru

I like this bourbon quite a bit, especially as a dessert bourbon after a satisfying meal.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

I still haven't tried it. No sign of it in Georgia.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

I like it but I really like the fact that my wife loves it. Because of AE, she's stopped drinking my Lot B!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Angel's Envy vats (I'm always reluctant to use the word blend because of negative connotations) port finished and non-port finished bourbon for their final release. It's the percentage used of each that determines the strength of the port finish. I've tasted the port finished at barrel strength and it has all the port you could possibly want. They have decided (probably for very valid marketing reasons) to release a milder port finish product. For myself, a agree with you that I would really enjoy a little (or even a lot) more port in the whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Its not a bad bourbon at all, but the $45+ price tag around these parts is a little bit too much in my opinion. I feel more time in the port casks would do it well. I found it to be just slightly sweet, pretty smooth and overall enjoyable. I agree that it would make a better summer sipper than a winter warmer. I would be interested to see what more time in port casks would do to it, would certainly gain a richer color and perhaps more sweetness that usually isn't found in a bourbon.

Advanced Taster

Thanks, Joe, for choosing Angel's Envy this month. As you know, I received a gift bottle a while back and was looking for an excuse to open it. So I did last night, and had a couple of pours, which went down easy in the summer-like evening here in Chicago, so I'll second your opinion of this as a nice summer sipper. I got a little sweet grape on the nose and tongue, and am not sure that I would want more of that. The bourbon behind the port finish seemed decent but not very complex. I tend to like my bourbon a bit older and at a higher proof. I do love the Angel's Envy finish, finding it lip-smacking good for several minutes after a taste. I smiled when I saw the (spoiler alert) logo and type "burned" into the cork, then wondered how much they were spending on the fancy bottle and the promotion and such. I love that master distiller Lincoln Henderson has the opportunity to cook up "expressions" like this, and look forward to his future endeavors. I'm glad I was able to enjoy this Angel's Envy (I had feared there might be a syrupy port sweetness that I would find distasteful), and I'm glad I received a bottle as a gift. Bottom line for me: It's good, but not great, and when I have $50 of my own to spend on a bottle, I'll be buying something else.

Disciple

I agree with most of you on this, and I think that Joe hit it on the head in the first post. More on the elegant side of things, and while there's nothing wrong with that, I feel it comes up a bit short on complexity. It was okay, but not compelling enough to buy again.

At Whisky Fest Chicago 2011, they had a higher proof version of AE that I tried. It was well into the tasting, and I had stopped taking notes at that point, but I do remember that one knocked me on my ass. Screaming good. Anyone know if that will be released at some point? Based on that bottling, it would seem to me that they released it at too low a proof.

Makes me wonder, could they sell more of a knock-out $75 cask strength bottling, rather than a so-so $50 bottling? Obviously they went the other way.