Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM: 3/11 Old Fitzgerald BIB

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    This stuff seems to be all over the place. A few bottles from 2004-05 were fine... the last stuff was just as you describe it. Why the variation???
    A good question. OWA had a few years where the quality wasn't as good as prior years (although the down years are about 1,000,000 times better than the current OF BIB I have open). Since both are wheaters, could there have been a problem with the wheat that was available for use in distilling during this time period that lead to such variation? Just a wild thought that came to mind if it's completely off base for whatever reason.
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Guru

I had my first taste of Old Fitzgerald BiB this morning.

WOW!

Thick and soft, oily and smooth, sweet and spicy, sudden bursts of flavor with a long finish. Appears to have been bottled in 1988.

Now to make it last.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    I had my first taste of Old Fitzgerald BiB this morning.

WOW!

Thick and soft, oily and smooth, sweet and spicy, sudden bursts of flavor with a long finish. Appears to have been bottled in 1988.

Now to make it last.
    Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Just a perfect description of what is so appealing about what was distilled at DSP 16 and bottled as Old Fitz even in the post 1972 through 1992 era. So perfect I just had to have me a tiny tiny pour here at 11:30 AM also.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    what is so appealing about what was distilled at DSP 16 and bottled as Old Fitz even in the post 1972 through 1992 era.
    Yeah, that talk of post 1972 is a bunch of fooey () , one of the best SWs I've tasted was distilled well past '72 and I've never heard anyone turned one down because "it was distilled after 1972" !
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Yeah, that talk of post 1972 is a bunch of fooey () , one of the best SWs I've tasted was distilled well past '72 and I've never heard anyone turned one down because "it was distilled after 1972" !
    CALLING JEFF MO!!!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

I enjoy the older versions and think I need some right now. I don't think I'll be purchasing a newer version soon because of the old stuff bunkered.

I have a feeling that if SW was still distilling, we'd find something we didn't like and complain about it. You only miss it after its gone.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Regarding the current stuff: it's not something I drink a lot of, but as a well-type bourbon it's not bad. I think the BiB .... could certainly stand improvement. The 2010 PHC make me hopeful that Old Fitz is on its way up as a brand.
    Agree. Some days the Fitz BiB is a decent pour, other days not so much.

Guru

I have an older friend whose favorite bourbon of all-time is Old Fitz BIB. He always has a bottle on hand, as well as an assortment of other fine whiskies, but OF is his "go to" bourbon when we're sitting around the fire pit or listening to a ballgame on the radio, so I've come to like it quite a lot. I'm sure that part of its appeal to him is nostalgic, which is why he grabs every bottle he sees when hitting estate/garage sales. Some of the dusties he's turned up have been absolutely superb but I don't mind the current stuff at all and have even had some luck turning other friends on to it. You put it in the glass, I'll drink it!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Bought this today for $19.99/litre. I don't have a basis for comparison back to the DSP-KY-16 bottlings, but I thought this was "OK" for the price; a step-up from Maker's Mark but not quite to the level of OWA or Weller Special Reserve. Neat the heat seemed a bit too dominant, however, sitting on the back porch, adding a couple of ice cubes while monitoring the grill, this was satisfying. The dominant flavor seemed to be the menthol/mint, with a touch of wood on the back end.

Not sure I'll replace it when it's gone, but liked it enough to find any of the VOF or VVOF when I come across them - and I've never seen either in this area never mind the DSP-16 bottles. At this price range, I'd probably reach for a Dickel 12 more often, but as a change of pace, this was alright.

Enthusiast

Tried the current Old Fitz BIB last night.

A real disappointment: concentrated alcohol on nose and palate; very thin flavor without much taste to distinguish it.

As a comparison I then poured ORVW 10/107. What a difference. Full of rich flavor, and a long finish. A great pour. Whatever common ancestry these pours had in past is long forgotten.

It's a real shame HH can't do better with Old Fitz given the heritage of this name. Also, somewhat of a mystery as HH can produce a great wheater as proven by the Parker 2010 release.

Bill.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner