Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What is/are your favorite BIB('s)

It's your key to hospitality.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The Bonded designation means the whisky was distilled in one season by one master distiller at one distillery and placed in new charred oak barrels to age for a minimum of four years in a government supervised Federally bonded warehouse, then bottled at 100 proof. The whisky could be aged longer but four years is the minimum..
    Thanks for that clarification!

I was also wondering why some distillers continue to label their products "bonded" and also why "bonded" products continue to appeal to some whiskey consumers. As you say the term is archaic. Perhaps it is precisely that aspect of the term that has an appeal, the fact that it sort of harkens back to a bygone era. Just thinking out loud.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

For a long time after World War II, when fully aged whiskey was always scarce, "bottled in bond" became known as 'the good stuff.' That reputation persists among mostly older people.

For enthusiasts, bonds almost always are a good value. It's hard to same why this is but it seems to be true. Bonds are also a "single batch" whiskey, made by one distillery and one distiller in one season. Although barrels are mixed together there is unlikely to be much barrel variation when all of the whiskey is essentially the same age, so it's a real measure of what the distillery can produce without much opportunity for improvement through mixing in older barrels.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

As I never like to tax my brainz, I'll keep my selection to just those that are listed as BIB on the label. It really comes down to HH BIB's, and VOB BIB for me. In every way measurable, I adore these whiskies. If I had to choose just one...like the bestest/favoritest "desert island" BIB?????? Like Battle of da BIB's????.....The winner would be....da VOB...no, da HH.....no, da VOB.....no, da HH.....no, da VOB.....no, da HH....no, da VOB.....no, da HH......no, da VOB......no, da HH......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no, da VOB......no, da HH.......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no, da VOB......no, da HH.......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no......................................

The senseless waste of pitting these two might forces of nature against each other, like matter vs. anti-matter, would be a tragedy, not only for the whiskies, but for our planet. All nations must band together, to ensure that such a conflagration never takes place...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Rob I doubt my Father and his friends knew anything about the requirements to be met for a whisky to be Bonded. Back in their day whisky was 86 proof, 100 proof or bonded and they considered Bonded to be the good stuff.

In their price range Bonded HH, Barton and Dant are good values and I hope they stay around for a good while.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Same way with my Dad. Just that simple. "Bonded is the good stuff." If you grow up hearing that then it persists into the next generation just like any other important parental lesson.

Connoisseur

"Bonded is the good stuff." My favorites currently; probably Rittenhouse (when available), then Old Fitz or JTS Brown, OGD, HH 6 year. The last bottle of Dant reminded me of HH 4 year (ok but not what it used to be). JTS Brown was always different than some of the other HH bonds in that it seemed to be very mellow, with less spice and no eucalyptus or medicinal taste. I haven't seen it lately. Barton is very nice, but they don't sell the bonded version near me. Mellow Corn as well, available in other states. I do see the Henry McKenna in a few places, but never tried it because of the price. Maybe I'll have to pick some up, since you guys say it's good.

Guru

Paul I supposed for awhile HH might be bottling essentially the same BIB under different labels but a comparison of the Evan Williams white label BIB and the Dant BIB pointed out some differences. The Dant is a little rougher around the edges and a bit younger so four years sounds right.

Ancient Age, Evan William, JTS Brown, VOB, HH 6 yr and Old Fitz are my favorites among current bottlings. Dusties I prefer are Old Fitz, Old Forester and JW Dant. Cheers to BIB's! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    For a long time after World War II, when fully aged whiskey was always scarce, "bottled in bond" became known as 'the good stuff.' That reputation persists among mostly older people.

For enthusiasts, bonds almost always are a good value... Bonds are also a "single batch" whiskey, made by one distillery and one distiller in one season. ... it's a real measure of what the distillery can produce without much opportunity for improvement through mixing in older barrels.
    Thanks for this explanation. It's making more sense to me now. I'm definitely enjoying all the bourbon history/knowledge I'm getting on this thread.