Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Poll: Top 5 Whiskeys

My understanding is that Hirsch 16 and 20 year olds are both Michter's production. I have not tried the 20 year old but the 16 year old was very special. I have seen the 16 year old recently in fine New York City liquor stores.

Disciple

I am glad that there is some sense in the world again, Jeff has a wheater on his favorites list again! !

BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    TomC

Administrator in exile

Wheaters have taken a down turn on my list as of late. While I still enjoy Maker's Mark, there are so many better bourbons out there that it quickly fell off the radar. Old Weller Antique did nothing to reaffiirm my taste for them, if anything my opinion dropped somewhat. Then along came Ol' Rip. I had tried the 20yo Pappy, which I love, but I thought that the wonderful taste profile must certainly be exclusive to the more expensive older bottles. I was pleasantly suprised with the $21 10yo 107 proof. This is one damn fine pour. Whereas Maker's Mark has become somewhat plain, and Old Weller just tastes a little off to me, Ol' Rip has many of the qualities that I associate with the better rye bourbons. It will be hard for something to knock this one off the list. I hope someone tries

Disciple

BLLLLEEEEE!!!

I made a posting when I first joined this forum that said something to the effect that one of the best things about this form was watching peoples tastes evolve in what is actually quite a large range of flavors in bourbonia. Its funny because considering wheaters (except maybe makers mark) I have thought the opposite recently. Having now tasted 3 Wellers (Antique, Centennial, & 19 Year), 3 Vanwinkles (10/107, 15/107/ Pappy's), and Old fitz BIB I think I have shaken the initial bias I had against them. I dont consider myself a "wheated" or a "ryed" person (my top 5 list has 3 ryed and 2 wheated bourbons), I just now thinl there is a definate place for wheated bourbons and I am glad that we have both varieties to try.

So know the distilleries have to get cracking on a mashbill with both!

Tom (yay Jeff!) C