Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Re: Poll: Top 5 Whiskeys

Linn,

Th' problem ish, ya gotta try 'emall sho asta beeyable ta make a shedish... a dishish... shisshhh... choice.

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Enthusiast

Ancient Age 10 year old will be around for some time. Actually, and this may be a point against us, Jim Murray has listed this as one of his all-time favorite bourbons.

Ken

**DONOTDELETE**

Ken said, "Ancient Age 10 year old will be around for some time. "
    Hooray!! I'm with Jim on that one, as you can see from my list. On the other hand, Jim's all-time LEAST favorite bourbon (he considers it the singular worst whiskey ever made) is Colonel Lee 100 BIB. That brand, which even Barton doesn't seem to mention unless asked, rates #5 on my cheap list, and is only that low because the list includes bourbons up to fifteen dollars. It would be #1 on a list of under $10.00 brands. He also doesn't like Old Fitzgerald or Wathen's much but thinks Old Crow and Jim Beam Yellow-label rye are terrific. I really enjoy reading Jim's work and I've learned a lot from him. Mostly what I've learned is to appreciate that the incredible range of choices available is bourbon's best feature of all, and that to limit yourself to what you (or worse, someone else) already enjoys is to really miss out on the best part of the bourbon experience.

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Advanced Taster

Okay. This was a tough one. Don't get me wrong, I've tasted better American whiskies than what's in my list below, but these are what I drink the most of. I think availability and price has a lot to do with it. If Buffalo Trace was available here in Kansas, then it would be my number one "grab". After I buy a few cases in Kentucky this September, the Old Charter will get bumped off the list.

1. Eagle Rare 10-year old
    2. Berghoff 10-year old 107
    3. David Nicholson 1843 7-year old
    4. George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve 10-year old
    5. Old Charter 12-year old

Bill
    http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/

Apprentice

Thanks to all for participating in the poll. One thing that interests me is that only John listed (along with everything else under the sun) Van Winkle 15.
    When I first got into bourbon and started following this forum to see what I should try, there seemed to be a consensus that VW 15 was one of the two or three finest. Indeed it became and remains my favorite. I was surprised to see it not mentioned more. Anyway, here is my top five:
    1) Old Rip Van Winkle 15
    2) Wild Turkey 12
    3) Knob Creek
    4) Rare Breed or Elijah Craig 12 (tie)
    5) Woodford Reserve
    A year ago Weller Centennial would have been second but my taste has evolved away from wheaters and towards rye bourbons(VW 15 is in its own category as far as I'm concerned). Still, haven't tried Bookers, Blanton's, Old Charter and many others. So many bourbons...

**DONOTDELETE**

Henry what are the 15 year old Van Winkle's quatities that make it so special as to be your number one pick? I've never had any and it's not available here in Virginia.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think some of the lists are, in part, a function of budgets. Old Rip 15 might very well be one of my favorites if I could afford to have it more often.

--Chuck Cowdery

Apprentice

For me the VW 15 smells and tastes of lucious dark fruit (dates, figs, berries), tobacco, spice (I especially detect cinnamon) and caramel. These and other flavors are very distinct and keep coming in wave after wave. I also love its full-bodied, mouth-coating texture and very long finish. It is similar to VS Old Fitz but more so. You must get hold of a bottle, Linn.

The Boss

Concise, succinct, and sans any sort of verbose over-qualification, here are my five favorites (unsorted):

Blanton's
    Hirsch 16
    Elijah Craig 12
    WT KY Spirit
    Wathen's

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Advanced Taster

Henry:

I've been following this thread - that description was a killer! I live in Western PA, and I can't get the VW 15, and I'm dyin' out here, thanks to wordsmiths like you guys! Same goes for Russell's Reserve and a lot of the other stuff...I guess I'm going to have to practice my bootlegger turns and run some booze across state lines...

Ralph Wilps