Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Re: Poll: Top 5 Whiskeys

Ralph, try some of the special State Stores listed here. Most Pennsylvanians don't realize it (since it's illegal for them to tell you unless you ask!), but there are quite a few stores where better brands and higher quality may be found. Another thing they don't tell you is that you can order any wine or spirit in the world through your local state store. Ask about the SLO (Special Liquor Order) program. You can also get a new ammendment to the U.S. Constitution passed via your local State Store, in approximately the same amount of time and with slightly less effort.

Seriously, do give one of the specialty stores a try. I've seen many good bourbons, including Pappy 20 and Hirsch, at the one in Maple Glen. In fact, it's the only place I've been able to find Virginia Gentleman 90 proof (the fox bottle).

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

I shall do so sir! Julian always manages to scounge out the best barrels of Old Fitz to put in his bottles. I'll be sure to set aside some funds for a couple. I'll have to wait until September to get 'em. Are you going to make the Bourbon Festival this year Henry? Be sure to bring extra pants!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Advanced Taster

John,

Thanks for the list - I knew about all of the Allegheny County specialty stores except the one in Verona - I'll check it out. By the way, did you notice that there are more of the these stores in the Pittsburgh/Allegheny County area than anywhere else? Must be a subtle influence exuding from the rocks here - I don't think the Whiskey Rebellion ever really got finished up along the river valleys.

Ralph Wilps

**DONOTDELETE**

It may also be the quality of the average consumer there. Now watch all my Philly ex-neighbors and family get all bent out of shape at me for saying that :-))

The truth is, though, that they have to do that for the same reason you pointed out originally... there's nowhere else to go. In Philadelphia, people with discerning tastes can go to Delaware, New Jersey, or even the Big Apple. These people's Pittsburgh counterparts don't have that luxury (where are they gonna go, Ohio?), so they put pressure on State officials to accommodate them more. Your gain!

=John=

Enthusiast

Hello, I find it almost impossible to limit my selection to just 5 whiskeys. I like John Lipmans idea of several list according to price. I have waited this long to post my suggestions as I have been trying various whiskeys the past month or so. I believe I have sampled enough to start to get an opinion of what makes my list of favorites. I am going to cheat a little and break it down to 2 list one over $35 and the other under $35 .
    My list is in no particular order.

Over $35
    Van Winkle 15yr 107 Proof
    Wild Turkey kentucky Spirit
    Eagle Rare 17yr
    16yr Hirsch.
    Sazerac 18yr Rye or Jack Daniels Single barrel Take your pick.

(note I have not tried my 20yr pappy & 20yr Hirsch & 19yr Weller)

Under $35
    Van Winkle 13yr Family Reserve Rye
    1990 Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Weller Centenial 10yr
    Knob Creek & Russells Reserve & Buffalo Trace 3 Way Tie. I like them all.

Go Figure a month ago I hated Buffalo Trace now I really like it. Creggor.

**DONOTDELETE**

Ah-Ha Creggor my man!

A month ago you hated Buffalo Trace and now you love it enough to put it on you top 10 list. Kudos for you.

Here ladies and gentlemen we see a pearl of bourbonic wisdow in action - to wit: When you open your mouth open your mind also.

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

Says Linn, "...When you open your mouth open your mind also."

From what I've observed in myself and others on this forum, when you open your mouth to insert fine bourbon into it, the mind quickly follows all by itself, don'tcha think?

=John=

**DONOTDELETE**

Indeed sir I do! In fact the more empty the bottle becomes the more wide open I get. When the bottle is empty I become very like St. Luke and have perfect knowledge of all things. Once I've slept it off, however, I find that all I really know is that I need to buy another bottle of bourbon. It's a sad fact that the sober know next to nothing while the properly bourbonized philosopher knows it all!

Linn Spencer

Novice

Very Very Old Fitzgerald
    Geo Dickel Special Barrel Reserve
    Old Grandad 114 Proof
    Very Special Old Fitzgerald
    Knob Creek

The Man from Missouri

Novice

As your invitation to list your top five picks was on top I mmediately jumped into the water and posted my list. Then after reading the rest of lists and comments I can see I am going to have sell one of my old used cars in order to try some of the other brands listed. Thanks you all for opening up a whole new world for me!

The Man from Missouri