Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). . .

The only premium Bourbon Sam's Club (one of my favorite stores since I'm such a cheapskate) sells locally is Woodford Reserve, so I picked up a bottle. I found it to be a very dissapointing spirit. It has a slightly medicinal taste and unimaginative pallatial complexity. Or maybe I was just in a sour mood because the Kansas Jayhawks tanked. Interesting bottle though...

It burns me knowing now that for the about the same amount of money I could have gotten Wathen's, which seems to be turning into my favorite-- but one needs to broaden ones horizons and try new stuff, in the quest for knowledge.

Mark
    http://jazztrpt.freeservers.com

Taster

This evening I am drinking Blanton's. I have always liked it. It is on the light and dry side,but has a wonderful taste of the barrel and vanilla,in just the right proportions. It is a very easy whiskey to like and enjoy

Guru

Different strokes....

I have both and I prefer Woodford Reserve to Wathen's. I suspect I'm in the minority on this one, though.

Tim

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). .

No you're not Tim! I love Woodford Reserve. Wathens is good for what it is , but at the same price point I know exactly where Woodford Reserve was distilled and aged and where it was bottled. I also have met the master diastiller and trust him to provide a stellar product. I drink Woodford Reserve with confidence that it is a superior product. As much as I would like to say that about Wathen's I can not. I met Charles Wathen Medley and his son Sam the first year I attended the Bourbon Festival in Bardstown. They skipped town just as fast as they could, and didn't bother to advance their bourbon. The Walthen's website has been untouched since it was first put up with many areas still under construction some five years later. Very poor. Pitiful.

Guru

Hirsch 16 and Hirsch 20.

I was hoping to have something meaningful to say as to how they compare. Unfortunately, at least for that purpose, both of these bourbons are better than I am. I am not worthy to critique either of them.

All I can say is that the 16 is a little more assertive in the nose, with a gentle zest that carries over to the palate. The 20 shows its additional age, but not to the point of tasting the slightest bit woody. Some might say that it has become too subdued, but I love its deep, dark, tantalizing nose that makes me keep poking my nose farther into the glass. I'm torn between taking small sips because it's so expensive and so rare versus drinking it in large gulps because it is so delicious and so totally without any harshness of any kind.

On the basis of simple drinking pleasure the 20 can't possibly be worth three to four times today's price for the 16. However, I give it a slight edge as the more enjoyable of the two to my pedestrian taste.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

We must have been reading each others mind today Dave! While out today I happened across a place that had 1 last bottle of the 20 at a 'decent' price so I decided to treat myself and do the same thing you did; Have pours of both the Hirsch 16 and 20 and simply enjoy the evening.

The 20 does, as you said, show it's additional 4 years of age but in such a fine way. It is so smooth, that you can soon forget how expensive it is and keep pouring yourself another glass.

I almost want to make myself like the 20 more because of the rarity of it and older age, but something still makes me lean ever so slightly towards the 16. I think it's just that extra bit of 'sweetness' I get from it. But no matter what, these are 2 bourbons I will always enjoy, and miss when they are all gone...

Administrator in exile

Knob Creek. While at Meijer's Party store to pick up a bottle of Cabernet for Leslie I was checking out the meager bourbon selection. I had intended on picking up a replacement bottle of Maker's Mark, but something changed my mind. It was the calling of the Knob Creek bottle. It whispered, "I'm not all bad, give me another try." The one thing I have always liked about knob creek is the bottle. I figued it would be nice to add a full-sized bottle to my collection, so I bought it. I don't know if it is because I am half sick, but tonight it tastes nothing like the battery acid to whick I have once likened it. Leather and vanilla dominate with some cinnamon and all-spice on the finnish. I will wait till I am healthy to pass final judgment on this bottle, but tonight I am getting significant pleasure from the 'Creek.

Taster

I had a similar experience. As it involved the same bottle I know that it had to do with me and time. At first Knob Creek had an acrid and soapy flavor. A real turn off. I put it aside ,and a few months later I tried it again and it was rich and complex and a delight. Maybe I am becoming a more mature boozer

Guru

Way to go, Jeff. You can't be wrong all the time, either!

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). .

Old Charter 12 yo, "The Classic 90."

This standby belongs in everyone's bunker--a tried and true bourbon that earns its nickname.

In many markets, the Old Charter brand--at least in all of its variants--is hard to find. I've had to mail order the 8, 10, and 12 year olds, while the 13 yo Proprietor's Reserve, which dates from the United days, was more widely distributed and can still be found for around $30. At half the price of the PR, however, the 12 year old is just what is professes to be--a classic.