Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). . .

I have thought about it and it seems that KC is the only Beam bourbon that I drink with any regularity.

I also like the Booker's very much, but it is just not worth $50 to me. I occasionally order it when I find it at a bar. When I want to spend $50, the only things on my list are Blanton's and Kentucky Spirit.

I don't enjoy Baker's at all. It is drinkable, but to me, it is the one with the dry, chemical taste.

I have never tried JB Black or Basil Hayden. JBB is so close in price to KC and I know I like KC, so that is what I buy. Somebody's "brown vodka" comment here on sb.com probably turned me off of BH, untasted.

I cannot drink JB White. I don't understand how anybody can. I admit that I haven't tasted it in many years, though - it was bad 30 years ago!

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Tim, IMHO Jim Black is the same ol' mashbill as Knob creek and it hasn't gained the sophistication of KC with it's extra proof and age. Basically if you like Beam you will like JBB. As for Basil Hayden's , I think it's better than some think, I know it could grow on me, an acquired taste thing. I decided this in the Beam Home at Clermont having a drink of it at Jim Beam & companies expense. So here is where the real ( for me anyway ) problem lies, I'm not going to pay 33 bucks for 80 proof Bourbon. Or at least not very many times( I did pay something like that for the IW Harper) I have ample water sources available to me. Who was it that said ," What's the point of shipping all that water all over the Country"?
    On a related note, I get a newsletter from Liquor Barn each month and they are getting geared up for Derby. They lifted a line from and didn't acknowledged the source, But Always Fine Bourbon, about Country Ham and Beaten Biscuits. I guess someone there has read a good book about Bourbon, Which is good!

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). .

So Tim your point is that you love and purchase and enjoy Knob Creek, as do I along with many other folks making it the number one selling ultra-premium brand of straight bourbon. I love it too. As for the other's let's just let God sort 'em out. - Just Linn -

Guru

An excellent summary as usual, Linn.

Thanks, Tim

Guru

Old Fitz BIB.

Film at 11:00.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

I tried KC again tonight and again it was a decent drink. I still think that it is a far departure from the Baker's and Booker's that I still enjoy much more. Made for a nice pre-cookout pour.

Administrator in exile

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite pours. Full-bodied with caramel and taffy notes accentuate a cardamom and allspice twang. Nice pair for a Hemingway Signature Cigar

Advanced Taster

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve. Lots of flavor.

Tommy

Connoisseur

Jefferson's Reserve. I've never had this bourbon before, and at $50 a bottle here in California I've held off until now, but my curiosity got the best of me today so I bought a bottle. While I like to taste a bourbon a few times before making a definitive decision, I'm liking it a lot so far. It's got a big, solid taste, although not too complex in my book. Also very smooth. Let me have another pour and see if it holds up...

Virtuoso

Weller Centennial 10 yo. I cracked this open last night (an acquisition from Binny's during my Chicago trip this past weekend). I thought that I hadn't ever tasted anything like this, but I really liked it. I gave it a go again tonight. Same smooth, yet invigorating flavor as last night.

In the tasting forum recently, Bob described the flavor as as apples, but I had thought of something sharper, perhaps maple. Bob also mentioned licorice. I thought that the flavor had that pungency, but was sweeter, hence, my maple flavor. Jeff had just bought a bottle, but he hasn't posted his impression yet.

In any case, I am all of a sudden interested in Weller. I had long ago tasted the Old Weller Antique version and instantly disliked it as too harsh. Hence, I had not rushed back to this label. But, the Centennial version is very good and might just make be a 2nd string pickup when I visit a state that carries it.

2nd string is nothing to be ashamed of. It is still desirable, but I will buy 2nd string only if I have room in the return luggage (or if my better half is not on the war path about my bourbon spending). I always make room for first string, e.g., ORVW bottles or Wathens, spouse be damned.