Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). . .

Drinking with the wife tonight and watching that Rumrunner's show on the History Channel. We've been switching around between Basil Hayden's, Elijah Craig 12 YO, Four Roses yellow label, and Ezra Brooks 15YO Single Barrel. She can't keep up with the high proof stuff yet, but tonight my winner by far was the Ezra Brooks SB 15 YO. Marvin, you've got great tastes.

Virtuoso

Lunchtime fun

Pappy 20 yo! I am visiting relatives in L'ville and working during the day from my company's local branch office in L'ville. The other guys in the office and I went out for lunch on Monday at Harper's on Hurstbourne Lane, just north of I-64. What a bourbon selection! I saw the selection behind the bar on the way to our table. Normally, I don't drink at lunch, but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

I went (I thought) straight to the top. Pappy 20 yo. The waitress said they recently had a tasting there and that she really liked the 12 yo. Now, this is what I call service. I was floored. I am not used to wait staff that know bourbon, even in KY.

After she brought my drink, she mentioned that they also had the 23 yo. I was only having one drink, so I said, I'd get the 23 yo on my next trip. She said that Harper's (where we were) and the Oak Room in the Seelback Hotel in L'ville were the only places in town that had it.

She also mentioned that Harper's and the Oak Room had a friendly competition to see who had the best bourbon selection. I told her to get one up on the Oak Room and get a bottle of the Sam's Pappy. Then I realized I should not have told her so Bourbonians can buy more. But, heck, she was cute and I wasn't thinking straight.

Taster

As I type, Evan Williams Single Barrel just purchased today. It's been a while since I enjoyed it. In the cupboard, WT Kentucky Spirit, Beam Black, Elijah Craig 12 YO, OGD BIB.

Guru

Old Commonwealth -- my third drink from this bottle. (Thanks to Julian for the info that this is the same as ORVW 10/107, albeit at an even more attractive price. I couldn't resist adding a couple of bottles to my last order from Binny's.)

My first two drinks from this bottle were in the evening, and I was disappointed; the experience just wasn't as enjoyable as I remembered the ORVW bottling to be. This afternoon the taste is both familiar and quite enjoyable.

I used to label some milder bourbons as "afternoon" drinks. Now I'm beginning to believe that I appreciate all bourbon more in the afternoon. Fortunately I am free to rearrange my daily schedule around my drinking preferences.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

I'm having my first taste of George T. Stagg.

Tommy

Administrator in exile

No, No, No! You can't just say "I'm having my first taste of George T. Stagg." and leave it at that. As is tradition in these parts, you must rant and rave of its merits. Any less will get you a public flogging. Try again and put your heart into it

Virtuoso

Afternoon bummer

On my way to the airport in L'ville, I stopped by Hooray's to see if they had any more WT 12 yo left. I was going to pick up a bottle if they did and offer it up for trade with my fellow Bourbonians. But they were closed until 6 pm! Primary elections in KY today. I never knew about such a law.

Is this KY or federal law? I've never noticed it in NC, but then again, I am never in a bar or liquor store during the day on election day.

But, I had time to stop by Hooper's for that 23 yo Pappy. Unfortunately, there were out. It had been depleted the previous weekend. But, the bartender said it didn't matter. He couldn't serve alcohol until 6 pm! (It was only 4:30 pm.) I said I am from out of state so it didn't matter, but he didn't buy that.

The bartender had just come on shift and the previous one was going off shift. They both saw I knew bourbon, so we talked for a while about it. It turns out that the waitress I had at lunch the day before was exagerating. While Hooper's does have a large selection, they are well behind the Oak Room. They did mention, however, that Julian stops by occasionally to chat.

Oh well. The good news is that I found a good spot to hang next time I visit the relatives.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Afternoon bummer

I don't know who else has that law , It is specifically to keep politicians from buying votes with a drink. No one has ever tried to buy my vote

Advanced Taster

Re: Afternoon bummer

In Pennsylvania, all liquor stores (which are all owned and operated by the state) are closed on election day. Licensed establishments which do most of their business on food are allowed to open and serve alcohol as normal. IIRC, bars which don't serve food can't open until 8 p.m. after the polls close.

So, it ain't just KY, but it's not a Federal law.

SpeedyJohn

Advanced Taster

You're right, Jeff, that was a bit understated! What can I say--I have laconic ways. After reading so many great things about Stagg, I had to try it. I trekked all the way to D.C. to get my two bottles, and the Stagg was well worth the effort. (I also picked up some Sazerac rye, Eagle Rare 17, and a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 90 proof, since I was in the neighborhood.) Stagg is certainly one of the most flavor-packed bourbons I've sampled so far. I was most impressed, however, with how gentle the finish was for such a high proof whiskey. Stagg truly is a benchmark.

I hope I put that flogging off for at least another day!

Tommy