Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). . .

Ok Tommy, you're cleared for now, but we've got your name and we'll be watching you If you really want to clear the air, you might try posting some tasting notes on that Eagle Rare 17 or the Sazerac Rye.

Connoisseur

Re: Stagg in DC?

Do you mind me asking where exactly you found Stagg in DC? I'm still a Stagg-virgin...mostly due to lack of availability.

Advanced Taster

I picked up my Stagg at Central Liquors, which is on F Street, somewhere between 12th and 9th Streets. Be warned: their prices are a bit high (Stagg is around $50 there, whereas bourbonians in other places have reported prices of $40 or less). I don't know if that's because the supply is dwindling, or if it's just more expensive on the east coast. There was one bottle left back in March, so call ahead. Their information is available at www.centralliquors.com. Hope this helps.

tommy

Connoisseur

Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up! I've visited there before when I was on a quest for another rarity.

Administrator in exile

Weller 7yo Special Reserve. Decent bourbon for $10, but far from the level of the 12yo IMHO. This one seems to take on some of the qualities of the "Antique" 107 proof that I don't like. I had at first thought it was a function of higher proof, but now I am wondering if this bourbon just needs some age on it to become special. How old is the Antique anyway? I'll check later. So far my favorite is the 12yo followed by the 10yo Centennial, the 7yo Special Reserve, and at a DISTANT last place, the "Antique", which I doubt is all that "Antique"

Virtuoso

I was having some of my first bootle of Old Charter Classic 90 earlier tonight, retrieved during from my recent trip to L'ville. But, after dinner, I read some more SB.com and had Jeff prompting me about the Weller 12 yo.

So, as I am about to settle down and continue the book I started on the airplane last night, I put some Weller 12 yo in one of my new Getz Musuem glasses. Damn, this Weller is good. It makes the Old Charter seem limp. Anyhow, a book and a bourbon are waiting for me. See you all later.

P.S. Yesterday, we had a high alert at the airports. Yet, I walk into the L'ville airport with seven bottles of bourbon in a box to carry on the plane. I thought for sure the security folks would give me a good going over. But, they just rolled it on through their xray machine and didn't say a word to me. I thought that they would tear that box apart and make sure that I didn't have any flammable liquids. I mean, how can they tell on the machine that it's not gasoline?

Guru

Watching the finals of American Idol, tonight (Go, Reuben!), I had an Old Forester 100 on the rocks. Very satisfying.

Tim

Connoisseur

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Watching the finals of American Idol, tonight (Go, Reuben)

[/QUOTE]

Sigh...I got addicted to this show after my wife started watching it. I watched the finals tonite drinking some Weller 12 y.o. This is such a nice mellow bourbon...a great bourbon at a great price.

And, BTW, I was torn between Rueben and Clay...I thought both of them (and Kimberly Locke) were excellent singers.

Advanced Taster

Chuck, your post reminded me of an incident last year when I was going through the security check at the Salt Lake Airport. My carry on bag got some strange looks from the security lady as it went through the x-ray. She placed the bag over to one side and requested assistance from other personnel. I was expecting the worst. But all they did was run the bag through the x-ray again, stare and gawk for a few minutes and then let the bag pass through. They handed the bag to me and I asked if there was a problem. They said that at first there appeared to be a suspicious looking object in my bag but after a second inspection, the object did not show up. And they were okay with that!

I was so tempted to say something like, "Great, my disappearing bomb passed inspection!" but we all know where that would've landed me....

By the way, are there any restrictions or guidelines for bringing alcohol on a plane? As long as the bottles are unopened and within your carry-on or other luggage, is there a limit to how many bottles you have with you?

-Troy

Virtuoso

Three of my seven bottles were already opened. I have carried open bottles on several times without any hassle.