Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Birthday Bourbon!

No, not OFBB, but my birthday bourbon. I got a bottle of 16 yo Hirsch for my birthday today.

Ok, I bought it two weeks ago in Chicago for myself for my wife to give it to me on my birthday. It's not often that I go over $50/bottle, but this was one of those rare times.

I wanted to post my tasting impression, but I just wanted to relax and savor it. I didn't want to have to think. And I didn't want to drink more of it - I didn't want to put a big dent in it as it's my only bottle. I will say, though, that it does have a unique character. Also, it was much smoother and more mellow than I expected. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My wife also made me a very nice gift. She bought bourbon labels off Ebay, matted them, and framed them. She made two frames. Once we get them hung in my home office, I will snap a photo and share it with you.

Administrator in exile

Re: What are you STILL drinking right now (LOL). . .

After a weekend spent with the inlaws, where such an overt display of self indulgence would surely be frowned upon, I am having a glass of Weller 12yo and smoking a Punch Rothchild. I will state now and for the record that Weller 12yo is the best value bourbon in the world. No question!

Virtuoso

Framed Bourbon Labels Photo

Here are the two frames of bourbon labels my wife may for me for my birthday. She did a wonderful job, didn't she?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Framed Bourbon Labels Photo

Does that say Beans Best ? The pants rating is history, But that's got to be at least 4 or better!

Virtuoso

Bern's Best, Meadow Springs Distillery, Meadowlawn, KY.

Most of these labels are from various distillery names located in Meadowlawn, KY. There is some info in Sam Cecil's book on RD #39 in Meadowlawn and the brands produced there, some of which I have in these frames, e.g., John P. Dant, Old 1889. But, I haven't had time yet to decipher all the distillery names to see if they are all RD #39, though some are like Old Boone Distillery, Meadowlawn Distillery, and Old 1889 Distillery. These bourbon folks sure weaved a very tangled web that will take me some time to untangle.

The Ebay seller claimed that all these labels are original and not reproductions. RD #39 ceased operations in 1977, according to Sam Cecil, so it does seem plausible that the labels are authentic.

But, I really don't care if they are authentic or if they were on great bourbons. The labels are a great conversation piece and a view into part of bourbon history.

Disciple

Having a bottle of Old Buckeye bourbon would rock! (Being the state tree of Ohio and all, as well as Ohio State's Mascot, brutus). I am jealous of the label even. . .

BLEEE!!

TomC

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

They sell some of these labels at Heartland Decanters . I don't think there is a strong trade in fake Bourbon labels yet. BettyeJo could tell you more, I was in the label room at HH and it is impressive. They have piles of each one( and Hundreds of different labels) and you could imagine that if a brand was dropped , the labels would live long unless they were destroyed. Now every one knows they don't have hundreds of taste profiles or mashbills, so in with the dogs and cats.

Guru

Beautiful. What a sweet wife you must have!

Tim

Advanced Taster

Ancient Ancient Age with a little ice. I had a really rough exam today, so I poured myself a loooonnnggg drink.

Tommy

Guru

Do you get the 10-year old or the 10-Star?

Tim