Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58
  1. #51
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,658

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    I think it was 1980. They also manipulated things very well. Much as Woodford Reserve has done, they took pains to get Maker's minis on airlines, targeting business travelers. That in part is what the WSJ article is about. Then they launched a series of humorous, all-text, small-space ads in ... the Wall Street Journal.

    But from that point forward, Maker's proved that American whiskey could be sold on quality and could be sold as a contemporary, urban, upscale product, not a country bumpkin like Jack Daniel's. Now we take super-premium bourbons for granted but Maker's proved it was possible, and it only took them 20 years to do it!

    Since then, Maker's Mark has grown every year, often by double-digits. Demand has exceeded supply every year for the past 30 years too.

    So Maker's started it. A few years later, Blanton's began. Then Booker's and Knob Creek. Then Evan Williams Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve. Then Russell's Reserve started, and Four Roses re-entered the U.S. market, and Barton launched 1792. I'm sure I'm missing a few: Daniel's comes out with Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel, Beam comes out with Black Label, Old Forester does Birthday Bourbon, BT does the antiques, etc. etc., but it all started with Maker's Mark proving that 'premium bourbon' was not an oxymoron.

  2. #52
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,643

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ...

    So Maker's started it. A few years later, Blanton's began. Then Booker's and Knob Creek. Then Evan Williams Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve. Then Russell's Reserve started, and Four Roses re-entered the U.S. market, and Barton launched 1792. I'm sure I'm missing a few: Daniel's comes out with Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel, Beam comes out with Black Label, Old Forester does Birthday Bourbon, BT does the antiques, etc. etc., but it all started with Maker's Mark proving that 'premium bourbon' was not an oxymoron.
    The above paragraph should be the proverbial picture next to the word succinct in the dictionary .
    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

  3. #53
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I think it was 1980. They also manipulated things very well. Much as Woodford Reserve has done, they took pains to get Maker's minis on airlines, targeting business travelers. That in part is what the WSJ article is about. Then they launched a series of humorous, all-text, small-space ads in ... the Wall Street Journal.

    But from that point forward, Maker's proved that American whiskey could be sold on quality and could be sold as a contemporary, urban, upscale product, not a country bumpkin like Jack Daniel's. Now we take super-premium bourbons for granted but Maker's proved it was possible, and it only took them 20 years to do it!

    Since then, Maker's Mark has grown every year, often by double-digits. Demand has exceeded supply every year for the past 30 years too.

    So Maker's started it. A few years later, Blanton's began. Then Booker's and Knob Creek. Then Evan Williams Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve. Then Russell's Reserve started, and Four Roses re-entered the U.S. market, and Barton launched 1792. I'm sure I'm missing a few: Daniel's comes out with Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel, Beam comes out with Black Label, Old Forester does Birthday Bourbon, BT does the antiques, etc. etc., but it all started with Maker's Mark proving that 'premium bourbon' was not an oxymoron.
    Nice succinct history..all you need is some begats in there and you'd have a passage from the Old Testament of Bourbon

  4. #54
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    Nobody mentioned Weller Special Reserve. I started high school in '78 in Texas and remember Weller ads all over the place. Was that just in Texas? A lot of the ads just said "Weller and Water"..I think I remember one thatcalled it "The After Dinner Bourbon" as well.

  5. #55
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    Here is the Weller ad I remember..this is from '75.

    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4796,1327653

  6. #56
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,658

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    I don't think Weller has ever been a truly national brand, but it's always been big in Texas.

  7. #57
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    A co-worker of mine is a big scotch drinker. He recently inherited 3 garage cabinets, 2 full of tools, and 1 full of 1970s-1980s unopened bourbon bottles. He said many were Jim Beam, and he noticed they much different than today's Beam. He thought it had aged in the bottle, until I explained the glut, and aging differences then v. now. He's asked for my help in determining what he has. I'll update this thread with what I learn, as I imagine I'll have some questions and there will be a general curiousity.

  8. #58
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    503

    Re: Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I don't think Weller has ever been a truly national brand, but it's always been big in Texas.
    Oh, OK, thanks..

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. San Francisco Liquor Stores
    By thanson in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 17:58
  2. LA liquor stores
    By HighTower in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 00:11
  3. Bourbon Liquor Stores in Phoenix Area
    By whskylvr in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 19:32
  4. OKC Liquor stores
    By Isoflex in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 18:18
  5. Bardstown Liquor Stores
    By Gillman in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 11:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top