Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Harlen Wheatley talks BT and Pappy

That's why it's good that people like you do intelligent, in-depth interviews with people who know what they're talking about, and also with me.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by David D View Post
    The point with that thread is the you have multiple posters who had all been under the impression that something else was the case. One person writes "I remember reading somewhere...". My point on the podcast is that if you spend enough time reading about van winkle whiskies on the internet, you'll find conflicting information from people who thought they had the correct info.
    Dave I have really enjoye your podcasts so far and hope you keep bringing this quality of guests through. I do hope you spread a bit beyond Whiskey.. but so far you have had excellent guests well maybe with the exception of certain people in this thread

Apprentice

Thanks for the support. I'm just happy that people want to listen. I figured since I had the access to these interesting people I could provide an educational service. I talk to most of them about business anyway so why not make those discussions public and let those who are interested join in? I'm trying to make retail more transparent with these media tools. Part of the strategy is to see what people on sites like this are talking about and use that as a starting point (i.e. David Perkins after all the arguing on WDJK about his pioneer award). I do want to branch out to other spirits but I need to get people behind it first and I think whisk(e)y is what most people feel most passionate about. Chuck - you've got the most downloaded episode so far! We need to do part two now!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Help us out...point out the disinformation in the thread.
    When you read the thread you get a sense of conflicting info. At least I do. And obviously, we're talking about informed people. Obviously nobody intends to misinform, but that can be the result when folks that know what their are talking about think different things.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by David D View Post
    Thanks for the support. I'm just happy that people want to listen. I figured since I had the access to these interesting people I could provide an educational service. I talk to most of them about business anyway so why not make those discussions public and let those who are interested join in? I'm trying to make retail more transparent with these media tools. Part of the strategy is to see what people on sites like this are talking about and use that as a starting point (i.e. David Perkins after all the arguing on WDJK about his pioneer award). I do want to branch out to other spirits but I need to get people behind it first and I think whisk(e)y is what most people feel most passionate about. Chuck - you've got the most downloaded episode so far! We need to do part two now!
    I think we're all ready for Chuck Cowdery Part II. Make it happen guys.

Taster

SW has been out of business since the 70's. Love the enthuisiasm, but after listening I wonder why so many are still claiming that there could possibly still be original production in play. HW does a good job as a Master Distiller explaining, but the truth has to sink in at some point.

Thanks for the illustration.

SW stopped distilling in 1992.

The Van Winkle family sold SW in 1972.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Thanks for the illustration.

SW stopped distilling in 1992.

The Van Winkle family sold SW in 1972.
    Under what ownership? Diageo, I believe, or what would eventually become Diageo.

Schenley until 1987, then renamed United Distillers, then renamed Diageo so Diageo before it was Diageo (The Big Galoot) after 1987.

So?

People don't drink the owner, they drink the whiskey made at that distillery, which was very, very good to the very, very end, regardless of who owned it.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Schenley until 1987, then renamed United Distillers, then renamed Diageo so Diageo before it was Diageo (The Big Galoot) after 1987.

So?

People don't drink the owner, they drink the whiskey made at that distillery, which was very, very good to the very, very end, regardless of who owned it.
    I agree to some point, but it is also important to note who was making it and to what specification. Was the SW staff retained? This is the unknown peiod of history for that distillery for most, including myself.
    Regardless, it is getting leaner and leaner as far as stocks of whiskey go. We are in the last year or so of it.