Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Harlen Wheatley talks BT and Pappy

It's certainly known to many. I was well aware of it when I lived there from 1978-1987, and was there several times when working on my documentary. Ed Foote was the last Master Distiller there. There were never any wholesale changes until Bernheim was built and SW stopped distilling in 92. After that, of course, they had whiskey in the warehouses. Bernheim's wheated bourbon didn't start to be released until late 96 or 97. But of course there's very little SW left, which is the point of this thread.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by proof and age View Post
    I agree to some point, but it is also important to note who was making it and to what specification. Was the SW staff retained? This is the unknown peiod of history for that distillery for most, including myself.
    Regardless, it is getting leaner and leaner as far as stocks of whiskey go. We are in the last year or so of it.
    Well, OK. I accept that this message board is, in fact, guilty.

You may want to search for messages from bourbonv, who was, I believe (but I could be wrong), employed there as historian.

Veach was Assistant Archivist.

Guru

The thing about this interview that intrigues me the most is where (about 35:30) Harlen talks about new BT releases coming in April that will especially be a hit with enthusiasts.

Chuck, do your sources give you any hints that you can share about this?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    The thing about this interview that intrigues me the most is where (about 35:30) Harlen talks about new BT releases coming in April that will especially be a hit with enthusiasts.

Chuck, do your sources give you any hints that you can share about this?
    That's all I know but I will be there for the announcement.

They let this out to the Washington Post.
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-16-2011 at 06:07.

Guru

Man, I almost missed this thread and an opportunity to spread misinformation...

I heard that Julian Van Winkle and Mike Veach have been sneaking into S-W at night using Mike's old key from when he was assistant archivist and distilling more wheated bourbon for the Pappy labels. They've been aging it in the woods behind the Old Crow plant which accounts for the woody character of the whiskey.

Also that Diageo has purchased the Old Grand-dad distillery near Hobbs Kentucky and will be using it to produce the new Bulleit Wheat Whiskey, bottled-in-bond.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Trippah and Admin

K
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Man, I almost missed this thread and an opportunity to spread misinformation...

I heard that Julian Van Winkle and Mike Veach have been sneaking into S-W at night using Mike's old key from when he was assistant archivist and distilling more wheated bourbon for the Pappy labels. They've been aging it in the woods behind the Old Crow plant which accounts for the woody character of the whiskey.

Also that Diageo has purchased the Old Grand-dad distillery near Hobbs Kentucky and will be using it to produce the new Bulleit Wheat Whiskey, bottled-in-bond.
    As often as Goole crawls this site for data, I bet you can Google the last paragraph above and get hits already.

Is SB a veritable cornucopia of misinformation?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Is SB a veritable cornucopia of misinformation?
    That and the buffoonery. It's not what drew me here, but it's keeping me interested.

I've already placed a call to my contact at Tower for a case of the Bulleit BIB wheater. He said, "I put you on a list" (sure hope it's the right list). Thanks for the tip, Josh.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    That and the buffoonery. It's not what drew me here, but it's keeping me interested.

I've already placed a call to my contact at Tower for a case of the Bulleit BIB wheater. He said, "I put you on a list" (sure hope it's the right list). Thanks for the tip, Josh.
    You're welcome, I'm here to serve!

On a more on-topic note (not directed at you Tucker), yes there are threads that are nothing more than people arguing back and forth about what is made where and other such minutia.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't people here who actually do know what they are talking about (not to say that I am one of them). There are a lot of American Whiskey writers, industry insiders and the like who post here regularly. Julian Van Winkle himself posts here on occasion. Just because everyone has an opinion that doesn't make all opinions equal.
    Last edited by Josh; 03-16-2011 at 13:00. Reason: sp
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You're welcome, I'm here to serve!

On a more on-topic note (not directed at you Tucker), yes there are threads that are nothing more than people arguing back and forth about what is made where and other such minutia.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't people here who actually do know what they are talking about (not to say that I am one of them). There are a lot of American Whiskey writers, industry insiders and the like who post here regularly. Julian Van Winkle himself posts here on occasion. Just because everyone has an opinion that doesn't make all opinions equal.
    Agreed. Because SB.com is the most populated whiskey forum on the internet it becomes both the best place to find factual information about whiskey, and also a place where people talk about what they've heard or think. The entire internet itself is a place where everyone is allowed to have their say, and while that's liberating, some people believe that if they read it in print that makes it true.

I love this forum and I love reading what people write, even though I usually refrain from posting. I use sites like this as the foundation to seek out interesting topics for the podcast and for our blog. When we did the podcast about the Van Winkle whiskies I said that I wanted to get the straight answer about things I had read on SB.com and other blogs that seemed to contradict one another. That doesn't constitute an attack on SB.com or on anyone who posts here. It simply means that I want to address the issue and find out what's really going on.

Because most people who post here know a lot about whiskey, it makes it even more surprising when there is not a consensus about something factual and objective, i.e. the amount of Stitzel Weller whiskey in PVW. I'm all for subjective arguing and opinionated responses about perception.

Keep it up everyone
    Last edited by David D; 03-16-2011 at 16:24.