Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Bruiting Bonded Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Robmo View Post
    As a newbie I appreciate this thread. Anything that leads one to think about the terms that are used/not used on bottle labels helps consumers better understand the dizzying array of options faced when looking at the bourbon section of the liquor stores. (If lucky enough to be in a place with such options.)

Interesting to think about what marketers think about.
    Robmo

I hate to do a tread drift here but check in at off topic post/tread Japanese members check in and let us know how your doing. Your posting so you must be OK. We are concerned about our Japanese members or members in Japan which ever fits.

Paul
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Most beer drinkers don't even know what hops are or what they contribute to the taste and aroma of beer.

Several times when I was working in Milwaukee people told me that they could "smell the hops" when the wind was right from the Miller brewery.

I drove by there a lot, and I often smelled the wort cooking. I sometimes smelled it fermenting. I never, ever smelled hops. And why would I? It was Miller, and they were making Miller (or Pabst or something similar).

They just know beer is made from hops, because they keep hearing it in commercials.
    I took a tour of the Budwieser brewery in St Louis and the smell of hops knocked you over but not necessarily from the fermenters which they didn't show us. It just emanated from the place I think it was from being stored and and moved around the place. I know what hops smell like and I have drank a river of beer. I couldn't have a drink as I was driving and I wanted a beer so bad and I hate budwieser.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think a Four Roses bond would be great. They could even do it from the ten whiskies currently used for regular Four Roses, provided all are produced in one season, i.e., just cut the proof off at 100.

Gary

Guru

Isn't the standard-issue FR single-barrel effectively BiB? IIRC, they (at least the US releases) have been 100 proof and, of course, 4yo or older.
    Last edited by jburlowski; 03-14-2011 at 14:34.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

True John, but I would do it at 4 years old from the group of ten, or not much over. To be bonded, a certain consistency would be necessary, which wouldn't occur with single barrel bottlings even though they meet the test legally speaking.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    True John, but I would do it at 4 years old from the group of ten, or not much over. To be bonded, a certain consistency would be necessary, which wouldn't occur with single barrel bottlings even though they meet the test legally speaking.

Gary

I agree. I'm speaking from memory because it's been a while since I've had an open bottle, but I think a bonded yellow label would be quite good.
    Ryan

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    To be bonded, a certain consistency would be necessary, which wouldn't occur with single barrel bottlings even though they meet the test legally speaking.
    Vintage Single Barrel Bottled in Bond? I smell a new niche...
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

A good point, as was John's. There are many ways to look at it from a branding standpoint.

Gary

Guru

Which was my point though I was being half facetious.

Enthusiast

Just a relative newcomer's take on the "bottled on bond" terminology. As a late thirty something I rely on the internet for a lot of information. I am sure that most people younger (and many more seasoned than I) do as well. When I bought my first BIB bottle (HM 10 Year) my thought was "What the hell does that mean?" I simply googled it and basically learned the term means nothing/nada/zilch in today's day and age for all practical purposes. As more and more younger generation drinkers come on board the Bourbon train, they will do the exact same thing and realize that in today's terms, BIB is just marketing and will treat it as such. The internet has allowed us to become much more savvy consumers than we were a decade ago, and the trend is just going to continue. Marketers better be aware of that. I think they are and this is why you are seeing more "experimental" type offerings and limited edition releases. Things that actually do seem to be "special" or limited are much more appealing than traditional terminolgy to the younger generation.