Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corked

Disciple

Corked

Well it finally happened to me. I went to open a bottle of 2002 OFBB this evening and the cork broke off in the bottle...I decanted the rest using a coffee filter into a FRSmB bottle that I had sitting around. This event got me thinking...is there an age at which we start to see corks generally go bad? I know that there are a lot of variables in play like temp, humidity, etc. but I thought it would be interesting to see what make and vintage of bottles people have had the cork break on them.

So for me add 2002 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon to the list.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Disciple

Re: Corked

Just a thought, but I wonder if rolling the bottles around every once in a while to keep the cork wet, but not saturated, would help?

I always keep them in the bunker, and that's about it. I'd like to hear thoughts on "proper" aging. Good thread.

The term "Corked" doesn't refer to the cork breaking it refers to the liquid taking on a cork-ish flavor. A broken cork could still yield fine tasting whiskey; however truly corked whiskey could be ruined.

I have had the worst luck with WT 12 year and Kentucky Spirit corks breaking.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

I've bought quite a few dusties with bad corks. None of them were "corked", luckily.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    The term "Corked" doesn't refer to the cork breaking it refers to the liquid taking on a cork-ish flavor. A broken cork could still yield fine tasting whiskey; however truly corked whiskey could be ruined.

I have had the worst luck with WT 12 year and Kentucky Spirit corks breaking.
    Actually Christian I was using it in the context of getting "Corked" or "Screwed" but thanks for letting me know your thoughts on the title of my thread.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Actually Christian I was using it in the context of getting "Corked" or "Screwed" but thanks for letting me know your thoughts on the title of my thread.
    Never heard the term getting "corked", but ok, you're welcome. Happy Thanksgiving.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

I got "corked" on a bottle of Pyrat XO once. Other than that I have been lucky.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Connoisseur

Every WT Old # 8 I've bought from the mid to late 90's broke on me. Never tasted "corked" though. All superb. I've had a '69 Dant 10 year decanter that the cork was shrunk to the point it was not air tight and again tasted great. Most of my WT RR 101's have had broken corks with no ill effect and a '99 Rare Breed did the same. Probably due to the small cork that WT uses.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    Every WT Old # 8 I've bought from the mid to late 90's broke on me. Never tasted "corked" though. All superb. I've had a '69 Dant 10 year decanter that the cork was shrunk to the point it was not air tight and again tasted great. Most of my WT RR 101's have had broken corks with no ill effect and a '99 Rare Breed did the same. Probably due to the small cork that WT uses.
    I had a 99 Rare Breed cork break on me the other night. Other than the cork breaking, it wasn't a problem. I've gone through a couple, and still have one left, of WT Old #8 1.75L's from 1992 that haven't been a problem. Wish I could have, but never tried, a WTRR101. A little before my time.

Trippah and Admin

At least it wasn't corked.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?