Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Vatting Success Stories

There is some talk on this board about "vatting" or mixing together various bourbons. It seems most of the time it is to make a bad bourbon tolerable.

So... where have you all found the greatest success. What vat mixture is worth giving a shot.

Here is my experience.

I tried AA10yo and EW Black Label. I was not impressed with either (yeah, I know, not liking AAA10yo is blasphemy on this board). After trying them both on ice to no avail, I gave in and mixed them together.

The result?? Excellent. A true case of synergy. They balanced each other and actually produced a very pleasant bourbon. I found flavors when mixed that neither displayed individually (pepper?) I can say this... I would rather have the two together than have either by themselves.

So what has worked for you?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Vatting Success Stories

Well, I've had a lot of success, and if I don't, I keep going until I do. The secret to me is balance. If you have a "funky yeast" bourbon, balance that against a fruity one, or a bland one, or a high-proof one, or all of these. The continual balancing of tastes will result in a complex flavour which appeals.

Gary

Virtuoso

I to have had success to some extent! I had a bottle of Weller 12 that was a bit flat to me (spare me the banter) and as I have said many times "WTRB" is not my favorite bird. I was about half way through both bottles when I vatted a glass. The result was awesome, and I say that because I enjoyed it so much I vatted the 2 to make a full 750ml bottle.

To save face here I have not run across a Weller 12 that was not great since so I have not done the vatting again, but it will happen.

ratio was 50/50!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

So far Bourbon with the air in my glass has worked best... but I did mix WTRR 90 proof with Bulliet. It gave the RR some balls and knocked down funk in the Bulliet. Ratio 3:1

Connoisseur

Here are a few that I was pleased with..

WLWeller Special Reserve and Maker's Mark

Old Weller Antique and Booker's

Baker's and Wild Turkey 101

Four Roses Small Batch and Old Overholt

George Dickel Barrel Select #2 and Conecuh Ridge (this one was really fun. The palate was all on Flintstone vitamens and buttery maple syrup. I declared it my breakfast blend)

Crown Royal Limited Edition, Seagrams VO Gold 8yo, Old Overholt

Each one of these resulted in a total shift in nose, palate and finish from the originals. All were good, some better than others. My favorite was the the Old Weller Antique and Bookers. That was a big taste, complex with good balance but very sweet. Just right for the holidays.

I think blending your own is a way of combining flavors to suit your own individual taste and can bring surprising rewards.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    Here are a few that I was pleased with..

WLWeller Special Reserve and Maker's Mark

Old Weller Antique and Booker's

Baker's and Wild Turkey 101

Four Roses Small Batch and Old Overholt
    I could certainly see where Weller Antique/Bookers and 4R/OO would balance each other out, and maybe even the Bakers/WT101, but I would think the SR/MM would be so similar as to not affect the taste too much.

My best sucess has come from taking thin bourbons and mixing them with something that is much more agressive.

Just writing this makes me think about other things I could try with what I have on hand. Maybe Benchmark and VOB 101.... or OC10 with any a Wild Turkey. hmm....
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post

My best sucess has come from taking thin bourbons and mixing them with something that is much more agressive.

Just writing this makes me think about other things I could try with what I have on hand. Maybe Benchmark and VOB 101.... or OC10 with any a Wild Turkey. hmm....
    You are making me very very thirsty I am going to try the Thin-Agressive menu next. That sounds like it would be very good. I report back....
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Virtuoso

I'm looking for a more complex and surprising flavor set.

The most successful attempt by far is a combination of Evan Willams 1783, Corner Creek and Powers Irish Whiskey.

Connoisseur

well, i'd still like to see a vatting subforum...

ANYWAYS, i am really enjoying various mixings of Elia Craig 12 (big ole bottle is only 1/4 down and this current WT101.

i think the extremes MELD well...EC's lovely mustiness is matched perfectly with this rather oaky WT...what results is a spicey sweetness that i am sure i've mentioned earlier (last night?) as being reminiscent of OGD114.
    HUP!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I have made (different drink, but same principles apply) an excellent malt whisky vatting. The base is Glenfiddich 12, Macallan 12 and Oak Cross (three Speysides combined by the experts at Compass Box Whiskies). On top of that is a measure of a complex combination of various malts and some blends. There are some Islays in there amongst the malts - Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Laphroig, notably. The result is seamless, creamy, very drinkable neat. You can get amazing complexity and sophistication in this process.

Gary