Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

redemption high rye

Just saw and bought a bottle of this tonight. I thought I had read about it on here somewhere, but have not been able to find it. It is nice, but still rough around the edges bigtime. The label say at least 2 years old. Maybe just a day over 2 I think. It also says distilled in the Indiana heartland, which in my book says LDI. Anybody else tried it? I will post tasting notes as soon as I have time.

Enthusiast

Re: redemption high rye

I bought a bottle of this a couple of months back. The bottle design (i'm a designer) and price sold me on it. You put it pretty well, this stuff is definitely a little rough, but alright for it's age. To me it was borderline medicinal tasting.

I think for the price range I'll stick with Baby Saz. Probably would pass on this next time around.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just tried this and the palate is different from anything else I've had. It's like a combination of salt water taffy and the blue soap version of Irish Spring. In a good way.

Gary

Connoisseur

It grew on me as I finished the bottle. I can imagine another 2 years would greatly improve it. It seemed like it had a really high proof off the still though.

Disciple

Are we talking about Redemption High Rye Bourbon(Red Label), or Redemption Rye(Tan Label)?

I thought both were pretty good, for being 2 years old. I will say I liked the Bourbon a bit more. And yeah, they're both LDI.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    It seemed like it had a really high proof off the still though.
    You can tell this by tasting it?
    Last edited by trumpstylz; 04-15-2011 at 00:51.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I meant the tan label straight rye, not the bourbon. I hope to get the bourbon on my forthcoming trip to Kentucky. Further aging would make it better surely but it's an excellent example of a young good quality spirit: some really unusual flavours in there but nothing harsh or acrid.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 04-15-2011 at 04:06.

Virtuoso

Classic young rye that shows its youth.... a bit thin, more heat than I like and light on flavor concentration. Not sure it brings much to the rye party other than being something interesting to taste once... especially at at a mid $20's - 30 price point... JMO
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

I tried them both on different visits to one of my regular hang-outs. I thought both were drinkable, although I would probably only repeat the bourbon. good to know the price is reasonable, might pick up some for more in depth testing.

Connoisseur

I am talking about the red label bourbon. Yes I do think I can tell it is high off the still. I get a very clean edge to it.