Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: redemption high rye

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I am talking about the red label bourbon. Yes I do think I can tell it is high off the still. I get a very clean edge to it.
    Ahh makes sense. Sort of the opposite of the flavor you would find in a dusty.

Connoisseur

Yep, that is right. I get a much heavier taste in a dusty. It comes from th e oils that come over late in the distilation run.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I disagree with the characterization of LDI's 95 percent rye as "classic." It is anything but. As far as we know, American straight ryes have always had a substantial corn component. George Washington's rye, from 1797, was 35 percent corn. An all-rye whiskey is 'classic' in that it is probably the classic or prototypical Canadian flavoring whiskey, never intended to be drunk on its own as a straight.

That isn't to say it's not enjoyable as a straight. The industry has been wrong before about what consumers want to drink. Just yesterday I heard Jim Rutledge (Four Roses) say that the ideal age for bourbon is six to ten years, yet there are many bourbon enthusiasts who prefer to drink nothing younger than 12.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm just saying that conventional wisdom, even among the top experts, can be wrong if by 'wrong' you mean predictive of consumer behavior.

What Rutledge would say about something like the 12 year old single barrel he is bottling for the next single barrel limited edition is that there are always exceptions, the barrel that for whatever reason continued to improve after 10 years.
    Last edited by cowdery; 04-16-2011 at 15:40.

Connoisseur

The 95 percent rye from ldi in my opinion would be closest to a canadian flavoring whiskey, and I agree with Chuck, not really a classic rye whiskey in the American sense. If I am not mistaken it is a flavoring whiskey for segrams 7? By the way anybody had any segrams lately? I bought a pint a few weeks back and the rye was really in your face. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if not for the caramel in it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Yes, the LDI rye was developed by Seagram's as a flavoring whiskey for blends, very much like a rye flavoring whiskey for a Seagram's blend.

I had some Crown Royal Cask 16 at WhiskeyFest Friday night. I wanted to be more impressed than I was. Though I could actually taste barrel char, which you normally can't do with a Canadian.