Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    How does this compare to the Jack Daniels Silver Select(Export). Just curious as a friend of mine travelling through Heathrow brought a bottle of JDSS for me, but I've yet to sample any.
    Open it Dave. It's pretty darn good. I'm sure you'll like it. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Inspired by this thread and a sale price of $34.99 I made my first purchase of JDSB even though I'm neutral about the regular product. I'm glad I did. It's from Rick L-09, was barreled on 4/30/10 and is very very good. I find it really complex with beginning sweetness and different fruits balanced off well by wood and a lingering dryness. Last night it was what tasted best to me over a Buffalo Trace single barrel and Mount Gay Extra Old Rum. The night before if left a Dickel No. 12 in the dust. Count me as a fan.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Silver Select and Single Barrel are the exact same whiskey except for the bottling proof.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Glad you found a superlative one, T Comp. I've resolved now to bring my extra-special 11-0069 to the Gazebo gatherings at the end of April. Some bottlings are really good and by good, I mean, they stray from the normal JD palate by offering greater depth, complexity and as you said a variety of estery tastes, not just the banana taste the regular Jack can often have. I say can, because even regular JD is much improved IMO in recent years.

Gary

Virtuoso

There are a few bottles of this at my local store. I'd guess they are the newest bottling . I can get it for $38.00. is it worth it? I'm not a big fan of JD Black, but if this stuff is worth the money, I'll try it.
    Last edited by ebo; 03-24-2011 at 20:32.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

As always, 'worth' is subjective. I don't buy JDSB because there are many cheaper whiskeys I like better, but I still like it and think it's a very good whiskey. When the JD folks are buying, that's what I drink.

EC 18 is definitely worth the price. anything else is a matter of taste and do ya want to taste it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    There are a few bottles of this at my local store. I'd guess they are the newest bottling . I can get it for $38.00. is it worth it? I'm not a big fan of JD Black, but if this stuff is worth the money, I'll try it.
    I think it is worth it if you like variety and I find JDSB different enough to be worth it, at least on occasion. On proof and age it is certainly no bargain. It also would stand in line behind many others as my stranded on an island whiskey. Still its fruity or ester undertones make it unique and remind me a little of some of the 60's and 70's National Distillers juice I've had, only the JD then has much more pronounced char and dryness in the finish.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I think it is worth it if you like variety and I find JDSB different enough to be worth it, at least on occasion. On proof and age it is certainly no bargain. It also would stand in line behind many others as my stranded on an island whiskey. Still its fruity or ester undertones make it unique and remind me a little of some of the 60's and 70's National Distillers juice I've had, only the JD then has much more pronounced char and dryness in the finish.
    Thanks. I think I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow. I'm always up for trying new stuff. I'm just not a big fan of JD. I prefer Dickel 12 to any JD I've had, but I'll keep an open mind and try the JDSB.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sometimes you just get a superlative bottle. I bought three 11-0069's and each was somewhat different. One was silky soft and subtle, the next even more so, the last more vigorous and chewy. When you hit a great one, which I did with the first two, you know.

Gary