Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Younger Cognac

Connoisseur

Re: Younger Cognac

I was also impressed by Marnier VSOP. It is about $30 cheaper than the big names and had a nicely spiced flavour.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Have to disagree about St. Remy XO. It's a good brandy, more like Spanish brandies than real Cognac though. Dorlan is only some $35.00 - a bargain for Cognac and I liked its smooth, pure flavours - it doesn't have heavy wood/perfume and this is exactly what I found attractive about it.

I'll have to try Manier VSOP, don't know that one.

Gary

Guru

Regarding Cognac my education could use some updating.

I can't help myself but had to log in to recommend DEAU VS Cognac. Simply the finest. I'm turned on many of my friends to this one. Under $25. The aroma will tempt you to pour immediately.

I've tried 'big brands' like Pierre Ferrand also. But this cognac is simply outstanding. I can almost guarantee no one will be disappointed. You more than likely will have more than 1 pour everytime you reach for the bottle.

And never do I feel any sort of pain to splurge. At $22, its unbeatable. In fact, I have bottles in many of my friends residences and we enjoy it always.

I'm no expert with definitions and such. But give it a try. It won't break the bank. But I'm sure I'll be getting an influx of private messages with thank yous.

The problem with blind tastings with people off the street, is that most of them don't have any sort of developed palate, especially with spirits. As a result, they will generally trend towards the cloying, simple, easy drinking spirit. Really, one shouldn't brag about being liked by noobs, that is usually pretty good reason for me to steer clear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
    The problem with blind tastings with people off the street, is that most of them don't have any sort of developed palate...
    unless it's in France. those folks have refined tastes in everything, even water.

earlier, chuck mentioned Paul Masson as a viable alternative. For years that was an overlooked value with great flavor for the $$$, then it went through a spell of not as good. I've not sampled lately to see what it's like but certainly worth a look.

I really don't like going off topic but which spirits are Chuck NOT into? He's commented on Scotch whisky, Irish whiskey, absinthe, and now cognac.

Guru

Cool Re: Younger Cognac

I like Courvoisier VSOP because of the "jammy" taste. To me, it is like drinking liquid raisins.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I like Courvoisier VSOP because of the "jammy" taste. To me, it is like drinking liquid raisins.
    There's always Dr. Pepper for that.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Guru

Cool Re: Younger Cognac

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    There's always Dr. Pepper for that.
    Well, I like Dr. Pepper, too.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur