Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Abraham Bowman Rye - Barrel-Strength

Well my bottle arrived today. I have never tried to look into a bourbon or rye anymore than I like the flavor so bear with me.

Nose: Spice
    Palate: I get some cinnamon,leather, and some mint. Never gotten a mint flavor from a rye before.
    Finish: Nice and long to me.

I am glad I have this in my collection and someone more experienced will probably give everyone better tasting notes. On the question of is it worth it, it is to me.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by G.H.Adams View Post
    Well my bottle arrived today. I have never tried to look into a bourbon or rye anymore than I like the flavor so bear with me.

Nose: Spice
    Palate: I get some cinnamon,leather, and some mint. Never gotten a mint flavor from a rye before.
    Finish: Nice and long to me.

I am glad I have this in my collection and someone more experienced will probably give everyone better tasting notes. On the question of is it worth it, it is to me.
    How was the power of the proof? Smooth at all or pretty powerful totally through? Did you drink it neat or water it down to a little lower proof? Just seeing if its right up there with the stout of a Handy even though older, just wanted to see that comparison also.

Enthusiast

I have never had Handy as I live in a bourbon and rye wasteland. As for the Bowman Rye I found it had a real good kick concerning the proof, as in you knew you had a drink in hand. I tried it neat to start but decided I liked it better with one cube of ice. Sorry this is probably not much help.

Virtuoso

Tried some last night and also got the mint when sipped neat, but also a little too much heat. Some water and a few min. and it opened up nicely with layers of sweetness emerging along with some fruity mint.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Tried some last night and also got the mint when sipped neat, but also a little too much heat. Some water and a few min. and it opened up nicely with layers of sweetness emerging along with some fruity mint.
    Were you pretty impressed? You feel like it was worth the price?

Its a rarity to see a whiskey like this on the market with a first time private bottling, with getting a couple parker heritage bottles im just wondering if I should stick with another bottle of that or take a chance here.

Virtuoso

Were you pretty impressed? You feel like it was worth the price?
    Not so much neat but It was much better with water.
    If you like your Rye with a generous helping of wood like Vintage 21, 23 or Saz 18 BMH 23, Ritt 21 etc or luscious and sweet without any burn like HW21 then this might not be your cup of tea.
    Closer to Handy in character but with a fruiter flavor set relative to Handy's spice. It's a BIG Rye with a distinctive flavor set and some cachet for it's limited availability, I would say it's as accomplished as Handy but different and retailing at about the same price - wether it's worth the $ is your call.

Enthusiast

I really love Handy, I have a half bottle left of my first 2010 and another in the bunker. A little young for me which is why I thought I would like this a little more. I have a bottle of Saz18, its alright just a little too mellow for me taste.

Having a hard time finishing the order, for $25 shipping, I need a couple more in the cart to make that worth while too. Jay said I would like it a lot if I liked the Handy, it being 4 more years older roughly I think its being more favorable for my taste....ahhh.

Advanced Taster

Im personally a wheated bourbon fan. I did really like Handy, but I absolutely hated Saz 18 this year...as in I wouldnt pick up a bottle if i saw it for $20. Any thoughts or opinions on this one considering those facts?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    Im personally a wheated bourbon fan. I did really like Handy, but I absolutely hated Saz 18 this year...as in I wouldnt pick up a bottle if i saw it for $20. Any thoughts or opinions on this one considering those facts?
    Bowman has a strong family resemblance with Handy in the nose, palate and finish. It drinks as another expression of the same type of rye.

Saz Jr., Handy and Bowman are blood relatives.
    Saz 18 is an elderly in-law.

Enthusiast

Any others out there get a bottle, comments?

Placing order mid week before they run out.