Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Is my Dickel bad?

Ok, so with all of this great talk of George Dickel Whiskey I picked up my first bottle a couple of nights ago. I have waited a bit to post this to ensure that I wasn't having a bad night. This is the first time I have been repulsed by a whiskey to the point of not finishing a drink. Imagine for a moment if you will. Take a bottle of cheap generic vitamins, put them in your glove-box and leave them in the hot car all summer long. Now open it up and take a deep whiff. Got that? Now add a fresh handful of wet sod and hay. That's what I get from this bottle of GD #12. The vitamin taste is overpowering and the sod comes on at the finish. Goes down smooth though Could it be that I have a bad bottle. Does anyone get even the slightest hints of vitamins and grass? Dare I say I like JD Black label better?
    Last edited by jeff; 03-20-2006 at 17:12.

Guru

Re: Is my Dickle bad?

Its okay, Jeff. You can be wrong every now and then.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There's nothing sadder than a bad Dickle.

It's possible you got a bad bottle. It's also possible you're coming down with a cold or took too many vitamins or you just don't like George Dickel. Do other whiskeys in your stash taste okay? Do you have someone else handy who at least can say whether or not the stuff tastes like bourbon? You made me go crack the mini they gave me last week at Whiskeyfest and it tastes fine. Did you notice any evaporation before you opened it?

If none of these suggestions is helpful, my bourbon disposal service is at your, well, disposal.

Administrator in exile

It's funny that you mention it, but I woke up this morning with a full-blown sinus infection of some sort. Maybe that is part of the problem. Three days ago I had some Rare Breed that tasted fine. Two nights ago I tasted the Dickle for the first time and after that I didn't want anything else Last night I tried again with the same results and no desire for bourbon, or a cigar for that matter. I guess I should wait a couple of days and try it again before I proclaim it 'rotgut'

Administrator in exile

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Its okay, Jeff. You can be wrong every now and then

[/QUOTE]

Just ask Leslie, you'll find that I'm wrong most of the time

Guru

Weak Attempt at Humor

An old riddle follows.

If a man says something in a forest, and his wife isn't there to hear it, is he wrong anyway?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

"rotgut" ? You must be sick or something but then again I like Rebel Yell. Makers Mark taste like rotgut to me but I imagine all this could be attributed to different body chemistries and personal preferance. Dickel is made for sipping...lol

Guru

Jeff,

IMO GD No. 12 is as different from a mainstream bourbon, say Old Forester BIB or WT101, as is a well-balanced s----- (e.g., Highland Park or Famous Grouse) or irish.

Michael Jackson was all but speechless when he tried to describe its subtleties, saying that doing so was like trying to describe the colors of the rainbow.

I happen to like GD No. 12, but for some reason I seldom drink it. I bought my one and only bottle (so far) about a year ago, at the same time I bought my first bottles of Blanton's and Rittenhouse rye, both of which are long gone. I still have almost half a bottle of the GD No. 12.

My point is that its flavor is unlikely to appeal to every person who likes bourbon. Even for those who like it, it may turn out to be a change-of-pace drink rather than a staple.

My own pathetic attempt to describe it includes damp, rotting logs in early Spring (as though morel mushrooms may be sprouting nearby), wildflowers, and peanut butter.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

On the aside....
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    as though morel mushrooms may be sprouting nearby

[/QUOTE]

The Mayapples are unfurling, all we need are a few warm nights , some showers and sunshine and we have them. BTW in a book I read about them , eating them and drinking alcohol can cause problems , I have done it myself and noticed nothing . For those of you who have reservations about eating wild mushrooms , all I can say is , and Daves post reminded me of it, that there are indeed still some things better than Stagg, in their own realm.

Bobby's Check list for Posting

1 Be nice, It's not that hard , really
    2 Try to work in a more or less unrelated topic to the thread
    3 Work Stagg into the post!

Check, Check, Check! Got it!

Guru

Mushrooms/Humor(?)

Bobby,

I once read a book about gathering wild mushrooms in which the author rated various species not as poisonous and non-poisonous, but as to the degree to which they made his face go numb after he ate them. Now that's a hard-core mushroom fan.

On the humor side, I once saw a cartoon that depicted a man lying ill in bed, his family gathered around, and a doctor at his side. The doctor announced, "He's one very sick mushroom expert."

My dad liked morels dipped in egg batter, breaded in cracker crumbs, and sauteed in butter. I was in my late 20's before I acquired a taste for them cooked that way. I bet they'd be great with Stagg, or OGD BIB for that matter.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield