Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Is my Dickle bad?

Full-blown Bronchitis and Sinusitis. That was the diagnosis I recieved the day after this posting. I think this probably greatly affected my tasting of this whiskey. I tried it again just now with little to none of the off notes that I previously described. I will do another tasting in a couple more days as I regain my health and taste buds and try to appreciate it a little more. Not bad today, just not all that good either. This could also explain why the Knob Creek that I am drinking now actually tastes ok to me today <font color="green"> </font color>

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Mushrooms/Humor(?)

I got a library book on Japanese influence in the Garden. I got about 3 pages down when inspiration struck. I had about enough time before dark to cart most of the prunings from some junipers to a brush pile . Fast work with a wheelborrow and a pitch fork. On the way back I noticed a Morel Mushroom at the dripline of a small crabapple. 5 of them total. My son and I have a bunch of 5 dollar bets on these, The first, the biggest and the most. Of course I haven't collected on the Kansas and Syracuse Game yet . The tip, first 3 point shot, leading at half time, and the winner.

Administrator in exile

Well, almost 2 months have passed since my last taste of GD #12. I have completely recovered from my sinus infection and I thought I would give it another try. Actually I was searching for my bottle of Buffalo Trace when I came upon the Dickle, which I had almost forgotten about. The "vitamin" notes that I described earlier are still there, but much less pronounced. The "sod" taste is completely gone. Tried it neat and on the rocks, and I think I prefer it with a few ice cubes in the glass. Personally I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding the charcoal "mellowing". Most bourbons that I enjoy are smoother than this. I guess I'm a purist.

I think I might have figured out the problem though. On the back of my bottle it says, "Bottled in Canada." What's up with that? Just leave it to the half-frenchies to mess something up. I bet they bottled some scotch and put the wrong label on it ! I might have to search out an American bottling of this whiskey and give it another chance!

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: Is my Dickel bad?

Just leave that Lincoln County process stuff in the bottle and drink some BOURBON, Jeff. I recommend drinking nothing that has to be "processed." Well, on second thought, keep it around to drink during sinus infections.

The Boss

It just so happens I've got a 50 ml bottle of GD #12 on the shelf right here behind my workstation.

I do indeed detect what you describe as vitamins Jeff. I remember when I was a kid my mother gave me some sort of yellow vitamin made by McKesson. Looked like candy to me so I popped it in my mouth and began to suck on it. Bad idea

The flavor of that McKesson non-lozenge is in here, as well an aldehyde like aftertaste that I find most displeasing. It does possess vanilla, butterscotch, and oak notes that are quite agreeable, but are unfortunately overshadowed by the forementioned nasties.

By the way Jeff, "Half-Frenchies" is quite the pejorative term. From now on, use "New World Frogs" instead

Connoisseur

Jeff,
    Dickel is a prime example that "older does not always mean better". United Distillers still owns Dickel and the distillery has been closed for several years. When I left the company at the end of 1996, they were using 10 year old whisky in the #12 - it was the same as their Heritage collection whisky but at a higher proof. Since then I have had some Dickel and the age has definetly increased and the quality lowered. There is indeed some tastes that should not be there at 15 to 18 years old. They need to get rid of their excess whiskey and start putting 8 to 10 year old product in the bottle again.

Mike Veach

Connoisseur

Mike, all:

The No. 12 Dickel is now 12 years old, per story below. But, they resumed production last week, about 60 barrels a day. Master Distiller David Backus tells why their whisky is spelled without the 'e'.

PS. Their 'niche' customers are 35 to 49 year old men who hunt, fish and are predisposed to book transcontinental flights to complete their kilobottle collections. Uber.

Omar
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...=2003309280352

Guru

I followed your link and noticed the following statement in the article:

Since whiskey gets better the longer it sits in the barrel, "we're giving away age," Backus said, but he would prefer to be selling bottles about half that old.

From the placement of the quotation marks I assume that the writer, not Mr. Backus, is responsible for the misstated first part of that sentence.

In any case, I can't help but wonder whether 12 years is too much age for the G.D. formula/process. At a younger six years, would the Flintstones taste be replaced by, let's say, Juju Fruits?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

Omar,
    There probably is a lot of 12 year old Dickel, but probably even more 13, 14, and 15 year old. They over produced in the early 90's because of grand marketing schemes that never paid off and they are dealing with the results now. Even so, I agree with Dave, they are giving away age - I am just not sure that that is a good thing with Dickel.
    Mike

Connoisseur

Now I'm curious if there's a reliable way to tell from the bottles (the bottom or perhaps the labels) which Dickel is actually 12 yrs plus. At that advanced age, it should taste different from what we have tasted/discussed here in the past. But the MD doesn't give any clues. You'd think he would use the op to get people curious, move inventory. Hmmm.

Omar