Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Loveland CO
    Posts
    155

    WT New Distillery

    Visited WT's new distillery yesterday and am reminded of a line our dads or granddads might have said... "They done good." Assuming the whiskey comes out the same as the old facility, a new $100million dollar factory is a nice thing to have. They say it'll double production (a nice share of which goes overseas... who says we don't export?), and it puts them in a good place for the next 75 years, assuming bourbon doesn't tank again.

    I'm as much a fan of history as anyone, and hate to admit that the old distillery's fate probably ain't good (I told them to sell pieces to fans like cities sometimes do with old stadiums), but it's better that WT has a parent willing and able to invest than not. Think of it now: WT's snuggly in Camperi's arms, Beam & MM report up to a corp that is focusing solely on spirits, Barton got bought by Sazerac which has consistenly shown its devotion to spirits, HH is opening another new warehouse. Things are bullish for the major players these days aren't they?

    BTW, on the tour, someone declared that bourbon's regs had an upper limit on corn at 79%, and that corn whiskey began at 80%. I didn't think bourbon had an upper % limit but didn't want to argue with someone who appeared to know so much. Can't a producer produce bourbon above 79% corn if he wants? Are any current day bourbon mash bills 80%+ corn?
    Mark

  2. #2
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,481

    Re: WT New Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by mark fleetwood View Post
    BTW, on the tour, someone declared that bourbon's regs had an upper limit on corn at 79%, and that corn whiskey began at 80%. I didn't think bourbon had an upper % limit but didn't want to argue with someone who appeared to know so much. Can't a producer produce bourbon above 79% corn if he wants? Are any current day bourbon mash bills 80%+ corn?
    Part is partially correct. Corn whiskey does begin at 80%, but there is no cut off for bourbon. The difference between corn whiskey and bourbon is that corn whiskey can use used cooperage.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  3. #3
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: WT New Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Part is partially correct. Corn whiskey does begin at 80%, but there is no cut off for bourbon. The difference between corn whiskey and bourbon is that corn whiskey can use used cooperage.
    More accurately: must use either used cooperage or new uncharred cooperage.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  4. #4
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,481

    Re: WT New Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    More accurately: must use either used cooperage or new uncharred cooperage.
    More accurately: If stored at all in cooperage (not required) it must be in either used cooperate or new uncharred cooperage.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: WT New Distillery

    And bourbon can be 100% corn if they want, although they'd either have to add that enzyme stuff or malt some of the corn.

  6. #6
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,534

    Re: WT New Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by mark fleetwood View Post
    Visited WT's new distillery yesterday and am reminded of a line our dads or granddads might have said... "They done good." Assuming the whiskey comes out the same as the old facility, a new $100million dollar factory is a nice thing to have. They say it'll double production (a nice share of which goes overseas... who says we don't export?), and it puts them in a good place for the next 75 years, assuming bourbon doesn't tank again.

    I'm as much a fan of history as anyone, and hate to admit that the old distillery's fate probably ain't good (I told them to sell pieces to fans like cities sometimes do with old stadiums), but it's better that WT has a parent willing and able to invest than not. Think of it now: WT's snuggly in Camperi's arms, Beam & MM report up to a corp that is focusing solely on spirits, Barton got bought by Sazerac which has consistenly shown its devotion to spirits, HH is opening another new warehouse. Things are bullish for the major players these days aren't they?

    BTW, on the tour, someone declared that bourbon's regs had an upper limit on corn at 79%, and that corn whiskey began at 80%. I didn't think bourbon had an upper % limit but didn't want to argue with someone who appeared to know so much. Can't a producer produce bourbon above 79% corn if he wants? Are any current day bourbon mash bills 80%+ corn?
    Check out LDI's website. They offer a Bourbon mashbill of 99% Corn, 1% Barley. Who knows where that juice is ending up, but you could make a Bourbon from it.

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    927

    Re: WT New Distillery

    There are a bunch of micros that let the germans still builders tell them how to make whiskey who use 100 percent corn. I am not a fan of them. Very unbalanced. It takes 3 grains to make it taste right. If not, then why in the world is Kentucky bourbon so popular? I think jd and George Dickel both are 80 percent corn and Old Charter is over 80 too I think. All 3 fine products. You should see the trouble the micros go through to make it from 100 percent corn. A nightmare.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Distillery Map
    By Dutchie66 in forum Paraphernalia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 08:54
  2. If you had your own distillery...
    By boss302 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 11:42
  3. New Distillery
    By wadewood in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 02:32
  4. distillery
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-03-2001, 11:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top