Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Sazerac Rye

  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,584

    Sazerac Rye

    This is the standard NAS expression that I have been working through while making partial tasting notes. What I'm finding are greater layers of flavor and complexity that I hadn't really noticed before.

  2. #2
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    175

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    You know, I'm glad to hear that, squire. I see "Baby" Saz as getting dismissed quite a lot—"uncomplex" is a common criticism—but I think it's the bee's knees. I've reviewed it elsewhere (not that anybody should care) and have successfully introduced many folks to good American whiskey with it.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    746

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    This is the standard NAS expression that I have been working through while making partial tasting notes. What I'm finding are greater layers of flavor and complexity that I hadn't really noticed before.
    I'm another fan of Baby Saz. It's one of my "keep on hand" ryes.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

  4. #4
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Apt. #2890c
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    Julio's current baby Saz offering is IMO opinion a step above "most" of the shelf versions.... and probably the last of the private single barrels for some time..
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    I think "layered" is a good description. I don't find it uncomplicated--rather, to me, it offers a procession of flavors. It does strike me as somewhat light in character, and the flavors aren't totally integrated, yet.

    I think it would be perfect at about 10 y/o and maybe 100 proof or a little higher.

  6. #6
    Taster
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    82

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    I enjoy baby Saz but prefer Rittenhouse 100 BIB for $25 and under ryes.

  7. #7
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    Quote Originally Posted by angler82 View Post
    I enjoy baby Saz but prefer Rittenhouse 100 BIB for $25 and under ryes.
    I find that both of these are so different that I like them just the same. When comparing two whiskies with the same profile, I can pick one over the other. But when they are both so different, it's worth having both on hand.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I find that both of these are so different that I like them just the same. When comparing two whiskies with the same profile, I can pick one over the other. But when they are both so different, it's worth having both on hand.
    I'm in agreement, though my tastes run towards the Rittenhouse which I tend to buy much more often. Having said that, a bunch of friends joined me to watch college hoops over the weekend and the Baby Saz was mighty fine.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  9. #9
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I think "layered" is a good description. I don't find it uncomplicated--rather, to me, it offers a procession of flavors. It does strike me as somewhat light in character, and the flavors aren't totally integrated, yet.

    I think it would be perfect at about 10 y/o and maybe 100 proof or a little higher.
    Amen on the age and proof.

  10. #10
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Sazerac Rye

    After reading through this Baby-Saz love-fest, I went back to my open bottle.

    It's not a simple Rye, I'll grant you that, but the finish always delivers a medicinal, chemically aftertaste that sends me running for Turkey Rye, or Ritt, or LDI...

    I do prefer Baby Saz over Beam Rye and Overholt, but that's about it.

    Sorry to rain on the parade. All palates are equal, and varied, in my opinion.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Thomas Handy Sazerac vs. Sazerac 18
    By unclebunk in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 03:11
  2. A Sazerac Sazerac
    By CrispyCritter in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 13:30
  3. Sazerac (6- to 7yo) Rye
    By TNbourbon in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 11:06
  4. Sazerac Rye
    By DrinkyBanjo in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 19:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top