Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sazerac Rye

Guru

Sazerac Rye

This is the standard NAS expression that I have been working through while making partial tasting notes. What I'm finding are greater layers of flavor and complexity that I hadn't really noticed before.

Advanced Taster

Re: Sazerac Rye

You know, I'm glad to hear that, squire. I see "Baby" Saz as getting dismissed quite a lot—"uncomplex" is a common criticism—but I think it's the bee's knees. I've reviewed it elsewhere (not that anybody should care) and have successfully introduced many folks to good American whiskey with it.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    This is the standard NAS expression that I have been working through while making partial tasting notes. What I'm finding are greater layers of flavor and complexity that I hadn't really noticed before.
    I'm another fan of Baby Saz. It's one of my "keep on hand" ryes.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Virtuoso

Julio's current baby Saz offering is IMO opinion a step above "most" of the shelf versions.... and probably the last of the private single barrels for some time..
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

I think "layered" is a good description. I don't find it uncomplicated--rather, to me, it offers a procession of flavors. It does strike me as somewhat light in character, and the flavors aren't totally integrated, yet.

I think it would be perfect at about 10 y/o and maybe 100 proof or a little higher.

Taster

I enjoy baby Saz but prefer Rittenhouse 100 BIB for $25 and under ryes.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by angler82 View Post
    I enjoy baby Saz but prefer Rittenhouse 100 BIB for $25 and under ryes.
    I find that both of these are so different that I like them just the same. When comparing two whiskies with the same profile, I can pick one over the other. But when they are both so different, it's worth having both on hand.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I find that both of these are so different that I like them just the same. When comparing two whiskies with the same profile, I can pick one over the other. But when they are both so different, it's worth having both on hand.
    I'm in agreement, though my tastes run towards the Rittenhouse which I tend to buy much more often. Having said that, a bunch of friends joined me to watch college hoops over the weekend and the Baby Saz was mighty fine.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I think "layered" is a good description. I don't find it uncomplicated--rather, to me, it offers a procession of flavors. It does strike me as somewhat light in character, and the flavors aren't totally integrated, yet.

I think it would be perfect at about 10 y/o and maybe 100 proof or a little higher.
    Amen on the age and proof.

Disciple

After reading through this Baby-Saz love-fest, I went back to my open bottle.

It's not a simple Rye, I'll grant you that, but the finish always delivers a medicinal, chemically aftertaste that sends me running for Turkey Rye, or Ritt, or LDI...

I do prefer Baby Saz over Beam Rye and Overholt, but that's about it.

Sorry to rain on the parade. All palates are equal, and varied, in my opinion.