Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sazerac Rye

Advanced Taster

Re: Sazerac Rye

Hey HRay,

In response to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by HRay View Post
    I hope BT can find a worthy replacement for the Sazerac 18 rye but unless the Handy ages really well, I am not too hopeful.
    All three Sazerac ryes ("Baby," Handy, and 18) are based on the exact same recipe. The only differences among them are the barrel selections, ages, and strengths. I'd be genuinely surprised if, when watered to your tastes, you didn't find yourself liking the Handy as much or more than Baby Saz.

Obviously, both are much younger than the 18, so the comparison is more difficult there, but there is no reason to think the Handy won't age just as well as the 18 has, given that the Handy is simply a younger, barrel-strength version of the 18.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Disciple

While I like the "Baby Saz", I don't really care for the Handy rye. Since the Sazerac 18 rye will eventually run out (do we know when?), I suppose the Handy rye will be the replacement from Buffalo Trace. Since the Rittenhouse rye is Brown-Forman distilled (for now), the Handy is the obvious replacement for the Sazerac 18 rye which is why I have been buying all the Sazerac 18 I can find until it runs out. I hope BT can find a worthy replacement for the Sazerac 18 rye but unless the Handy ages really well, I am not too hopeful. I suppose we will get an indication of the future of BT rye when they transition the Rittenhouse BIB rye to BT distillate.
    Rittenhouse is a Heaven Hill label, so although it is currently distilled at B-F, it will soon be switching over to Bernheim, not BT.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    Hey HRay,

In response to this:

All three Sazerac ryes ("Baby," Handy, and 18) are based on the exact same recipe. The only differences among them are the barrel selections, ages, and strengths. I'd be genuinely surprised if, when watered to your tastes, you didn't find yourself liking the Handy as much or more than Baby Saz.

Obviously, both are much younger than the 18, so the comparison is more difficult there, but there is no reason to think the Handy won't age just as well as the 18 has, given that the Handy is simply a younger, barrel-strength version of the 18.
    2 things:

1. How much do we really know about Saz 18? I wouldn't assume that it is the same as what they're making now.

2. Not all Handy's are created equal. 2010 for instance is great at barrel proof but falls flat if you knock it down to 90 proof.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    1. How much do we really know about Saz 18? I wouldn't assume that it is the same as what they're making now.
    You raise a good point. I can't seem to find information about whether the 18 is indeed the same distillate as the Handy and Baby Saz. That said, it sure as hell smells and tastes like a very "mature" Handy or Baby Saz.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    2. Not all Handy's are created equal. 2010 for instance is great at barrel proof but falls flat if you knock it down to 90 proof.
    Fair enough, but I have yet to come across someone who finds a diluted Handy—including the 2010 release—worse than Baby Saz, and some like it better. I'm not saying it's not legit to prefer the Baby over the Handy (as HRay does), but that HRay's concerns about the Handy distillate not being good enough to be used to make Saz 18 are probably unwarranted, given that he likes Baby Saz too.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Rittenhouse production moved back to Heaven Hill a couple of years ago, after the expansion at Bernheim was completed, but the product in stores is still all BF.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Rittenhouse is a Heaven Hill label, so although it is currently distilled at B-F, it will soon be switching over to Bernheim, not BT.
    I was talking about the Rittenhouse transition from B-F to Bernheim in another thread and got confused when talking about what BT is going to do when the Saz 18 runs out. I'm sure they have some pretty special rye aging to be ready to replace it. That said, do we really know much about the Saz 18? Do we know what the mashbill was? Was it even distilled at Buffalo Trace (then Ancient Age distillery)?
    Slainte mhath

Ray in Atlanta

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    You raise a good point. I can't seem to find information about whether the 18 is indeed the same distillate as the Handy and Baby Saz. That said, it sure as hell smells and tastes like a very "mature" Handy or Baby Saz.

Fair enough, but I have yet to come across someone who finds a diluted Handy—including the 2010 release—worse than Baby Saz, and some like it better. I'm not saying it's not legit to prefer the Baby over the Handy (as HRay does), but that HRay's concerns about the Handy distillate not being good enough to be used to make Saz 18 are probably unwarranted, given that he likes Baby Saz too.
    I think I may have overstated the case if I said that I liked the Baby Saz more than the Handy. Perhaps I meant "for the price". I any case, I think I have just come up with a good reason to revisit the bottles of Handy and Saz 18 that I have open. I think they are both from the 2010 release (although I do have unopened bottles of each from older releases). I'll also try to somewhat equalize the proof of the Handy and compare it to the Baby Saz.
    Slainte mhath

Ray in Atlanta

Connoisseur

I think I may have overstated the case if I said that I liked the Baby Saz more than the Handy. Perhaps I meant "for the price". I any case, I think I have just come up with a good reason to revisit the bottles of Handy and Saz 18 that I have open. I think they are both from the 2010 release (although I do have unopened bottles of each from older releases). I'll also try to somewhat equalize the proof of the Handy and compare it to the Baby Saz.
    Coincidentally, I just had the 2010 editions next to each other. To my taste, the Handy didn't smell like much and it was really sweet. The taste crept up on me, though, and I ended up loving it. The Saz 18 was so fragrant and amazing... The taste was delicious but next to the Handy felt a bit thin. Natch. I think I like the Saz 18 better. The Handy should be about $40 or so.

and where does the Abraham Bowman Rye fit into the rankings?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    and where does the Abraham Bowman Rye fit into the rankings?
    There's no lineup of ryes I've ever tasted where the Party Source bottlings Bowman Rye would be outclassed.

It is a permutation of Handy in a way, but age and selection make it a distinct and wonderful product. It can stand proudly next to Dougie's or Lenelll's Willetts, Handy, the rare barrel proof Overholt, Medley Saz, the various iterations of Rittenhouse, or your favorite Saz Jr (10yo Sam's bottling for me). Not necessarily best all of them (Willett #1 or #2 for me), but it belongs in that company.

For me, Party Source Bowman Rye is in the field for any discussion of greatest current production American whiskey.

Roger