Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sazerac Rye

Guru

Re: Sazerac Rye

Well Mama always taught us if you can't say something nice . . .

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    After reading through this Baby-Saz love-fest, I went back to my open bottle.

It's not a simple Rye, I'll grant you that, but the finish always delivers a medicinal, chemically aftertaste that sends me running for Turkey Rye, or Ritt, or LDI...

I do prefer Baby Saz over Beam Rye and Overholt, but that's about it.

Sorry to rain on the parade. All palates are equal, and varied, in my opinion.
    I never got that, but the whole thing felt kind of contrived, to me. Don't ask me to elaborate, I can't explain it any better than that... sorry.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I never got that, but the whole thing felt kind of contrived, to me. Don't ask me to elaborate, I can't explain it any better than that... sorry.
    You felt my statement was contrived?

I've made the same declaration on Baby Saz in other threads in the Rye forum, so maybe it sounded scripted. I do drink lots of BT stuff, I just really dislike this one. No biggie.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. You may now return to your regular programming.

Virtuoso

You felt my statement was contrived?

I've made the same declaration on Baby Saz in other threads in the Rye forum, so maybe it sounded scripted. I do drink lots of BT stuff, I just really dislike this one. No biggie.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. You may now return to your regular programming.
    Negative, there, White Dog.

Baby Saz feels contrived to me.

(in other words I'm agreeing with you )

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Negative, there, White Dog.

Baby Saz feels contrived to me.

(in other words I'm agreeing with you )
    Well, in that case, I completely agree with you!

Taster

You know the "baby-Saz" has never done it for me. Interesting since the Sazerac 18 Rye is my favorite all time whiskey. For an inexpensive Rye I will always go for the WT 101 Rye. At $20 it is very hard to beat. Even the Jim Beam Rye (at $14!!) is a clean credible whiskey. Now with the delicious Bulleit Rye available here in Atlanta, I haven't a reason to buy the baby-Saz.

Is the TW Handy Rye a cask strength version of the baby-Saz? I didn't get a bottle of this year's highly rated edition of the TW Handy Rye but I have some of the other years and they have never really impressed me either. I wonder what BT is going to do when they run out of the Sazerac 18??

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HRay View Post
    You know the "baby-Saz" has never done it for me. Interesting since the Sazerac 18 Rye is my favorite all time whiskey. For an inexpensive Rye I will always go for the WT 101 Rye. At $20 it is very hard to beat. Even the Jim Beam Rye (at $14!!) is a clean credible whiskey. Now with the delicious Bulleit Rye available here in Atlanta, I haven't a reason to buy the baby-Saz.

Is the TW Handy Rye a cask strength version of the baby-Saz? I didn't get a bottle of this year's highly rated edition of the TW Handy Rye but I have some of the other years and they have never really impressed me either. I wonder what BT is going to do when they run out of the Sazerac 18??
    Handy is more than simply a cask version of Baby Saz, IMHO. First off, Handy is about 6.5 years old, and while people still call Baby Saz a 6yr old, I'm not sure I buy that. It was at one point, but as it's become allocated...

Also, Handy is a "honey-barrel" selection, so better barrels are being used. Having cut Handy down while drinking Baby Saz side-by-side, I would say that these are very different Ryes. While I do not care for Baby Saz, I do love me some Handy, especially 2008!

But hey, this is just one man's opinion.

Advanced Taster

It's not a simple Rye, I'll grant you that, but the finish always delivers a medicinal, chemically aftertaste that sends me running for Turkey Rye, or Ritt, or LDI...
    It's funny you mention a "medicinal" note on the finish, White Dog. I don't get this at all on the Baby Saz, but it does feature quite prominently to me on the Rittenhouse BIB. I still like it, but not nearly as much as Sazerac.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Disciple

I love Baby Saz. I really like Rittenhouse but not quite as much.

I agree about the complexity. But maybe it's just the notes that it hits that I respond to.

Baby Saz really reminds me of 4Rsmb which I prefer to 4RSB for many of the same reasons I prefer Baby Saz to Ritt.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Taster

While I like the "Baby Saz", I don't really care for the Handy rye. Since the Sazerac 18 rye will eventually run out (do we know when?), I suppose the Handy rye will be the replacement from Buffalo Trace. Since the Rittenhouse rye is Brown-Forman distilled (for now), the Handy is the obvious replacement for the Sazerac 18 rye which is why I have been buying all the Sazerac 18 I can find until it runs out. I hope BT can find a worthy replacement for the Sazerac 18 rye but unless the Handy ages really well, I am not too hopeful. I suppose we will get an indication of the future of BT rye when they transition the Rittenhouse BIB rye to BT distillate.
    Slainte mhath

Ray in Atlanta